TPMS False Alarms

My Honda CRV has an “indirect” TPMS that has produced a few false alarms lately. When first back in the garage tire pressures are within 1 PSI or so among tires (one side higher than the other) and slightly above the door placard recommendation. After garaging overnight, pressures are within .5 psi among tires and still at/above the door placard value. After a TPMS reset, this recurs. No change in vehicle load, no ice/snow buildup and no extreme cold. Tires are near new.

No ABS warning lights, so I assume the ABS sensors that the TPMS relies on are functioning properly. And I thought the warning light was only triggered if pressures were 25% below requirement, which sure wasn’t the case here. Any ideas? Thanks!

My wifes car gave a low pressure warning for the left front tire. I checked it and it was low, but not serious. I filled it up and it still said it was low. When I got home I checked all the tires and found the rear tires were low. After filling all the tires to the proper pressure, the warning went off. It seems to me that the sensors need to be in the right location for them to be useful. If when you had your tires replaced, they probably just put the tires back on that were the handiest to grab first. Not from where they were mounted.,,

This happens occasionally on the VW and Honda. Though it seems to happen more with the Honda. Air the tires to proper spec, and reset the light. Go on with life.

This happens occasionally on the VW and Honda. Though it seems to happen more with the Honda. Air the tires to proper spec, and reset the light. Go on with life.

“Go on with life.”? What kind of forum do you think this is?

You might have crud buildup on your ABS tone rings. Not enough to trigger an ABS light but still something.

Just need to use the calibration procedure once and a while. And after a rotation, or tire change. It should be in the owners manual nobody reads.

Just need to use the calibration procedure once and a while. And after a rotation, or tire change. It should be in the owners manual nobody reads.
Please explain this calibration feature you speak of?

Please explain this calibration feature you speak of?
in the info center there should be a tire calibration option. when tires are air up when they are low or after a flat, its should be done. this allows the computer to use the new circumference to work the tpms

in the info center there should be a tire calibration option. when tires are air up when they are low or after a flat, its should be done. this allows the computer to use the new circumference to work the tpms
Ahh, you must mean on newer Hondas...

How long has Honda had indirect TPMS?
I would think that would be "newer".
Based on the comment including "Info Center". My honda only has a sound-system not an infotainment screen. Must not be "newer" enough.

Back