TPMS battery question

A couple months ago I got a message on the dash of my '07 Pacifica that one of the TPM sensors needed service. I forgot all about it until I drove the car over the weekend and I noticed the tire warning light on the dash flashing and I'm missing the pressure reading on the passenger rear tire. Wife usually drives the car so I don't know how long it's been this way, but I'm certain all four were reading fine when the display said one of the sensors needed service.

Wife called the local tire place and told them about the service warning and now the pressure not reading. They say it needs a new sensor at $50 plus tire dismount/mounting fee. Battery sounds cheaper than new sensor. I think if the sensor just quit one day, it wouldn't have given me advance warning.

Is this likely just a battery that needs replaced? If so, anyone know what size battery?

Probably a CR2032. But it might be sealed up and not serviceable (not without cutting and gluing). [I chopped open a Toyota sensor and it was a CR2032 with tabs.]

Kentucky? Isn't that a state where TPMS problems are fixed with black electrical tape? :)

If it was me, I'd probably wait until new tire time (or when never comes around0.

Unfortunately, the batteries are soldered to the board and thus not replaceable :cry:

But since you have a 2007, it's not required in your car. Only 2008 and up has to have it, so feel free to pull the bulb :sneaky:

I agree with supton that you can wait until it's time for new tires to replace the sensor.

Probably a CR2032. But it might be sealed up and not serviceable (not without cutting and gluing). [I chopped open a Toyota sensor and it was a CR2032 with tabs.]

Kentucky? Isn't that a state where TPMS problems are fixed with black electrical tape? :)

If it was me, I'd probably wait until new tire time (or when never comes around0.
I normally would wait till next tire change, but I just had new tires put on about a year ago. The bigger issue is that the TPMS warning takes over the instrument panel display, such that you can't use the trip computer and other functions-- it will go to those modes, but reverts right back to the TPMS warning. In any case, I want to see the tire pressure at a glance, so it's worth the $50 or whatever it costs.

I'll take my chances on the others lasting till the next tire change. It's not costing me any extra to do them one at a time. The others haven't given me the warning yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Are these available online on Amazon or elsewhere? Are the sensors universal or vehicle specific? Would like to learn more about these things.

Are these available online on Amazon or elsewhere?
Yes, I bought (3) on Amazon and Discount Tire installed and programmed them for $20/tire. I looked up the p/n here, https://www.redi-sensor.com/, then searched for that online. Amazon was the best price I found. Your car uses model # SE10001HP which is a super common sensor. About $30-34 through Amazon...

Gotcha. Might just be stuck then. Not a lot of money in the scheme of things.

There are generics but I'd leave it to the tire shop--they ought to know what works, and should be standing behind their work. [I tried a Dorman in mine but it didn't seem to take--and I never got around to re-entering the code. I believe some of the newer ones can be programmed to match the old sensor, thus avoiding any change to the ECU/whatever "listens" for the sensors.]

Not sure if they could just break the bead and sneak it in. I suspect that's what us backyard hacks would do, so as to avoid a balance charge. Thing is, I bet for a shop that would take longer (and of course, deny the chance to charge a bit extra). It's probably just easier and faster to pop the tire, do the job, balance--after all, it's what they do, all day long.

I had one on a 2010 Vibe replaced at Discount Tire. They charged $60. The brand was VDO, and Discount gave a 6-year, 72,000-mile warranty.

Careful of ones you buy esp. from places like Amazon, they are many time old stock and the batteries could be old half worn out anyways...

Back