Toyota Transmission Filter ATP, WIX or Beck Arnley

I am planning to change my transmission filter, and ROCK Auto has 3 choices.
1623933039429.jpg

What are your experience with each brand ?

About equal. None of those are inherently superior to the other. Choose one to minimize shipping costs. Looks Like Beck-Arnely wins. B/A is not a manufacturer but a re-seller. They are generally OE equivalent so not inherently worse or better than others.

Not sure which Toyota vehicle you’re working on but I’d go with OEM. People generally buy Toyota’s because of quality, reliability, etc. So it only makes sense to use Toyota parts.

McGeorge Toyota has great prices in OEM parts and their customer service is phenomenal - not a typical “dealership experience”. I have placed a few online orders with them recently and could not be happier. They even checked the box of shocks I ordered to make sure it came with all the correct hardware.

I agree with mshu7. Not sure what Toyota you are servicing, but you don't do this very often. If it is in the budget, consider using a filter from Toyota.
When I serviced our GS350 at 80K, I sprung for the Lexus filter, which is more of a strainer than a filter.
Having said this, I believe the after market filters are fine. Wix maybe?

I like ATP for their fiber gasket. If the kit comes with a drain plug gasket, it will be much thinner than stock, so you'll probably only get one use from it, where the stock-style washer can be used a few times.

I ordered a Beck-Arnley for a Toyota trans once, but it had a strange fold in the media that I didn't trust. (This shouldn't be an issue for you, since your filter has a screen rather than felt media.) I exchanged it for the ATP. The BA filter had a solid rubber gasket.

I bought Wix from Amazon as it's cheaper than shopping from US. It fixed shifting anomalies. The original filter was paper media, not strainer, and lasted around 280k km.

I agree with mshu7. Not sure what Toyota you are servicing, but you don't do this very often. If it is in the budget, consider using a filter from Toyota.
When I serviced our GS350 at 80K, I sprung for the Lexus filter, which is more of a strainer than a filter.
Having said this, I believe the after market filters are fine. Wix maybe?
The reason i am going aftermarket is toyota ones cost like 3 times the price, and it does not include the 2 cork gaskets i circle in the pics, as well as the pan gasket. The two cork gaskets are available seperately and that will be additional 15 bux. Also, Toyota uses FIPG for pan gasket, and I dont want to mess with that kind of gasket.
1623976424591.png

shown below are toyota diagram
1623976668513.png

1623976744927.png

The toyota model is mentioned in my signature. It uses same parts as the 1986 to 1992 Supra.

Last edited:
I tend to believe you get what you pay for - in general. Toyota vehicles cost more, as do their replacement parts. Again, the Toyota parts are part of why Toyota has the reputation they do.

Not only that but you’re dealing with the transmission. Who cares about saving $50 on something that’ll cost you a few thousand to replace/repair. Especially when the part itself is something that doesn’t get replaced often.

Speaking of Toyota parts, here’s what showed up today at my house from McGeorge Toyota.
9C7A7D8B-5853-4477-9B3D-AD6A15E0208A.jpeg

But to each their own….

Regarding signatures, I don’t know about anyone else, but when I view the forums from a mobil device, signatures don’t show up. Maybe there’s a setting I don’t know about.

Last edited:
I tend to believe you get what you pay for - in general. Toyota vehicles cost more, as do their replacement parts. Again, the Toyota parts are part of why Toyota has the reputation they do.

Not only that but you’re dealing with the transmission. Who cares about saving $50 on something that’ll cost you a few thousand to replace/repair. Especially when the part itself is something that doesn’t get replaced often.

Speaking of Toyota parts, here’s what showed up today at my house from McGeorge Toyota.
View attachment 60680

But to each their own….

Regarding signatures, I don’t know about anyone else, but when I view the forums from a mobil device, signatures don’t show up. Maybe there’s a setting I don’t know about.
You have a point, but I think I cant order from Mcgeorge, as I am not from the US. Even if i did the cost will be crazy compared to Rock Auto. Rock Auto's DHL shipping to Malaysia beats all other US sellers. One option is ordering the Beck Arnley just for the pan gasket, then ordering OEM the filter and small cork gasket from RHD Japan. I hate FIPG.

You have a point, but I think I cant order from Mcgeorge, as I am not from the US. Even if i did the cost will be crazy compared to Rock Auto. Rock Auto's DHL shipping to Malaysia beats all other US sellers. One option is ordering the Beck Arnley just for the pan gasket, then ordering OEM the filter and small cork gasket from RHD Japan. I hate FIPG.

I had no idea you were in a different country. That does change the circumstances, sorry.

OEM, the thing is never replaced in most transmissions including my 06 Highlander. I dread removing 20 bolts and cross threading them - so left it alone and it has 220K. If I were to replace it it would be OEM, who goes under and replaces them often.

And there is a post with pictures which look like a rotor - one thing I have learnt the very hard way is the OEM rotors that came with the vehicle are the very best money can buy - think very hard before replacing them. I put "Cryroprotect" nonsesense from tirerack on my wife's Lexus and had to resurface my OEM rotors to put it back in 30K miles. Original rotors on the vehicles needs to be preserved they outlast anything on the market (Highlander has original rotors). Also stay far and clear from Tirerack they sell crappp ****

I'd pick WIX in my application, U151E, it has the nitrile rubber gasket as opposed to a cork type which I got with the Hastings, not a big deal but you have to keep the cork in place where the nitrile usually allows you to push the bolt in and holds the gasket in place. I just used small zip ties and reversed them so the tie could be released. You could also use thread or any other method to hold it.

One other thought is to buy 2 of the 3, so you'll have options and one for inventory.

I had no idea you were in a different country. That does change the circumstances, sorry.
It says under each user picture. His info says he is from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Yours.. Central Indiana.

FYI Toyota (or any other car manufacturers) don't make a lot of their parts, but they buy them from other manufacturers. They don't actually make filters, spark plugs, sensors, shocks, brake pads...

In my experience when ordering "Beck Arnley" from Rockauto, they shipped the OE parts, even with the hologram on them.
BA are the main OE distributor for Asian made cars.
For example for my Toyota, Beck Arnley website has "OE" pads (Advics, Sumitomo or Sangsin), series 089, or their house "premium branded", series 085. If you look on Rockauto, they sell both series, 085 under "Economy" and the 089 series (OE pads) under "Daily Driver".

Last edited:
It says under each user picture. His info says he is from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Yours.. Central Indiana.

FYI Toyota (or any other car manufacturers) don't make a lot of their parts, but they buy them from other manufacturers. They don't actually make filters, spark plugs, sensors, shocks, brake pads...

In my experience when ordering "Beck Arnley" from Rockauto, they shipped the OE parts, even with the hologram on them.
BA are the main OE distributor for Asian made cars.
For example for my Toyota, Beck Arnley website has "OE" pads (Advics, Sumitomo or Sangsin), series 089, or their house "premium branded", series 085. If you look on Rockauto, they sell both series, 085 under "Economy" and the 089 series (OE pads) under "Daily Driver".

You are correct about the location - if you’re on a computer. I view this forum from my iPhone. The mobile version of this site does NOT show location.

Back