Toyota T-IV = Dexron III ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also like to add the Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is still the shaded of red as when it was fresh. No ATF foam or bubbles on the dipstick. The dipstick did not pick up any particles that would indicate a problem.

I'm also running Pennzoil Dex VI (GM Approved) in in my PS, which I've had in there about a year ago. Toyota calls for Dex III. But the fresh Dex VI seems to have smoothed the PS so I don't have to pull as hard on the wheel.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I used to buy into the notion that Chrysler's ATF+4 was a more highly friction modified ATF than Dexron or Mercon until I read the SAE paper detailing its development. That paper shows that the friction characteristics of the entire line of Chrysler ATFs (ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, and ATF+4) are all identical and are all essentially the same as the Dexron spec. In fact, in most owners manuals up until ATF+3 Chrysler listed Dexron as an appropriate substitute fluid if the ATF+ or ATF+2 wasn't available. The problem was that Dexron just wouldn't last in Chrysler's electronic 4-speed tranny. Chrysler needed a higher quality fluid that would retain its shift characteristics longer and that was the motive behind ATF+4. I suspect the same is true for Toyota and their switch to T-IV. (This is why most of the "universal" ATFs can list that they are for Dexron, ATF+4, and T-IV applications.)

Getting off topic here. G-man, my real life experience tells me different. On my last Caravan (99?)with 3 speed tranny and ATF+3, a service garage did a pan drop/filter change and added Dexron at 50K and it immediately developed a shudder. I had them pump it all out and install +3 and it ran fine. I don't think this tranny had computer control to re-adjust and the original fluid was still in good condition.

Just my observation.

You guys that are installing non-OEM spec. fluids, please keep us informed how they do after you put 100k and more on them. We need to know if they are performing well for the long haul. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I like this info. I have left over Mobil 1 ATF from my previous car. I will go ahead and use it in my Corolla in the next ATF change (drain and refill I do every 30000 miles).

Let us know how this works out for you.

Finally, I replaced ATF with pan drop and clean. Used Multivehicle Mobile 1 ATF and there is no difference in shifting whatsoever. Granted I have a 50/50 mixture of T-IV and Mobil 1.
It was worth the effort of removing and cleaning the tranny pan (at 60000 miles). Lot's of gray debris in the pan and filter. Drain and refill leaves it behind.

I agree with doitmyself. I bought my first new automatic equipped vehicle in 1970. (Plymouth Satellite 318)and have owned well over a dozen A/T equipped pcikups & cars, all bought new, in the years afterwards. I've used the mfg. specified fluid in every case, with only one problem: '89 Caprice 305 with the trouble-prone 200-R4 A/T...and even with that weak-knee unit, I got over 180,000 miles before overhauling it. They've all had periodic fluid & filter changes (agin, using Dexron, Mercon, T-IV--whatever the mfg. recommended) and all the others have given ZERO problems...and all were driven between 100K and 300K miles.
I'm leery of folks who recommend any fluid different than the transmission mfg. or vehicle owners' manual. because it's worked well for them for 1,000 to 75,000 miles. It's how well the A/T holds up over the long-haul that counts for many of us.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
On my last Caravan (99?)with 3 speed tranny and ATF+3, a service garage did a pan drop/filter change and added Dexron at 50K and it immediately developed a shudder. I had them pump it all out and install +3 and it ran fine. I don't think this tranny had computer control to re-adjust and the original fluid was still in good condition.

Just my observation.

You guys that are installing non-OEM spec. fluids, please keep us informed how they do after you put 100k and more on them. We need to know if they are performing well for the long haul. Thanks.

Can't agree here. The example you have is wrong fluid placed into wrong application. This thread is about evidence why T-IV is a glorified and in theory long life Dex III.

Besides, I used Mobil 1 ATF compatible with T-IV claimed by the same company who makes T-IV. 'Nuff said.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
I love it when people make uneducated statements like "when the transmissions blow up in a few years cause billy bob used the darn DEX 111 coo coo ca choo, that'll show dem dumb city boys". MANY EX toyota T-IV users have logged thousands of trouble free miles with synthetic products that are suitable in DEX III apps. If you want to keep using the toyota stuff cool, but enough with the ignorant statements that are untrue and build on the paranoia complex that ensure toyota and mobil's share holders/execs eat steak and lobster every night.

I'm sure those who like to experiment have plenty of qualifications than the Toyota Engineers who designed and BUILT the Toyota T-IV transmissions.

Engineers make mistakes too my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back