Toyota PS recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2015 Toyota 4Runner. The power steering fluid is a little low (and very dark). My owner's manual specifies "Automatic transmission fluid DEXTRON II or III".

What do you guys recommend for this vehicle? Is there a better fluid than what Toyota specs? What do you use?

Also, is pumping out and filling just the PS reservoir periodically beneficial?

Thanks for your help!

I use Toyota's Dexron fluid in all my Toyota/Lexus.

Get ready as you are gonna have a bunch of different opinions.

I always do a complete flush but that can get messy no matter how hard you try to keep it neat.

Thanks for the advice on ATF options..

Thoughts on pumping out and filling the PS reservoir periodically? Waste of time or does the reservoir fluid actually cycle through the system?

Thanks!

What drives people nuts is that factory fill PS fluid from Toyota is amber in color, but it's supposed to be an ATF type fluid.

Supposedly you can buy Toyota PS fluid but the cost makes no sense compared to just buying a quality ATF from a different brand.

I can't answer your question about the effectiveness of pumping out the reservoir with any degree of certainty. It's gotta help some. How much? I don't know.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
What drives people nuts is that factory fill PS fluid from Toyota is amber in color, but it's supposed to be an ATF type fluid.

Supposedly you can buy Toyota PS fluid but the cost makes no sense compared to just buying a quality ATF from a different brand.

Why did you have to remind me? Now I won't be able to sleep tonight....
happy2.gif

I have owned Toyota for over 30 years.
I have put all type brand of ATF Dex from Maxlife, Castrol, Supertech without any issue.
Take your pick on whatever you have in your stash/garage.

I flushed/replaced the PS fluid once every 100K miles.

A lot of the newer Toyotas are electrical Power Steering so they don't have any fluid.

Originally Posted by RichardZ
Thanks for the advice on ATF options..

Thoughts on pumping out and filling the PS reservoir periodically? Waste of time or does the reservoir fluid actually cycle through the system?

Thanks!

As others have said, any Dexron compatible ATF will work well. Toyotas are not picky. I used STP ATF when I had a Toyota.

I think it is worthwhile to replace the fluid periodically given that most, if not all, PS systems continuously circulate the fluid through the reservoir. I used to do the Turkey baster method and drain/fill the reservoir once every 2 years regardless of mileage just to keep things relatively fresh. This method replaces about half of the fluid. However I now prefer to replace all of it at the same time about once every 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
My 2000 4Runner's PS fluid spec's are the same as yours. I use Mercon V (essentially the same as Dex III) but you can technically use Dex VI, a replacement for Dex III. I have used the turkey baster method and/or remove one of the fluid lines from the PS box or rack/pinion unit. I do this every 2 or 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back