Toyota press conference on solid state batteries

Idemitsu kosan (a petroleum company) and Toyota Motor corporation press conference on mass-produced solid state batteries.

Go to Cadex Battery University to read more about solid state battery significant weaknesses. It’s worth reading about.

So, which is it going to be for Toyota? Battery/electric, Ammonia, or Hydrogen?
They probably should figure out a path forward pretty soon.
I see ammonia as much too dangerous to handle, hydrogen, pretty much the same drawback.

I see ammonia as much too dangerous to handle, hydrogen, pretty much the same drawback.
I would say since they are the worlds largest producer they need all of them. Compared to the rest of the world the USA population is very small. As a global producer you need to look forward and have an open mind. We think we are a big country yet only hold 4.25% of the worlds population. Many don't even know that India has almost as much people as China.

With an open mind, so far no EV technology is proven to work for the entire world. Even in this forum for some reason people think a battery operated car is the end all and complete solution for EV cars. How can that be? In 50 years or 25 years this stuff might be a relic.
The average American who thinks battery operated EV is the solution. I have one question, where on earth do you think the electric power will come from?
It's silly to think the battery EV cars right now are the future without electricity to charge them and to think lithium is the answer to everything in the world I would suggest that is small thinking.

Choices depending on the application whether it’s personal transportation, public or commercial transportation or home utility.

It is mind boggling Toyota is so late to the EV space given their success with hybrids. They still make the best hybrids; I own one and it's great. They kicked their CEO upstairs and replaced him with a more EV progressive executive.

As others have pointed out, there is no silver bullet; transportation energy sources will come from a number of sources, including oil.
Electricity consumption is expected to double in the coming years.

Interestingly, CA has been working on the ocean's kinetic energy to generate electricity; the waves don't go to sleep when the sun goes down. They continue to go up and down and side to side.
CalWave

From a SJ Merc-News Editorial
"The National Renewable Energy Lab has reported that U.S. marine energy resources are equal to roughly 57% of the nation’s 2019 electricity generation — enough to power approximately 220 million U.S. homes. According to the lab, California’s marine energy resource potential could supply power to approximately 13 million homes."

Science and innovation are awesome; the answers are out there.

It is mind boggling Toyota is so late to the EV space given their success with hybrids. They still make the best hybrids; I own one and it's great. They kicked their CEO upstairs and replaced him with a more EV progressive executive.

As others have pointed out, there is no silver bullet; transportation energy sources will come from a number of sources, including oil.

Interestingly, CA has been working on the ocean's kinetic energy to generate electricity; the waves don't go to sleep when the sun goes down. They continue to go up and down and side to side.
CalWave

"The National Renewable Energy Lab has reported that U.S. marine energy resources are equal to roughly 57% of the nation’s 2019 electricity generation — enough to power approximately 220 million U.S. homes. According to the lab, California’s marine energy resource potential could supply power to approximately 13 million homes."

Theses days you don't want to own a EV. Especially in EU

700+ mile from 10 min charging.. need to see that before i believe it. IF its true... that will make existing evs look like they where made in the bronze age... And their second hand prices will fall even more

CalWave

Toyota can make 90 hybrid cars for 1 EV.
Per battery mass required to make the EV.
This is why.
They claim they can reduce global pollutants more with hybrids.

This is why.
That is the correct answer. For Toyota's scale they can't just build willy nilly like Tesla does, and call Full Self Driving Beta (Full and Beta should never be on the same sentence). They also need to make sure things they build won't be half assed or they can quickly go out of business.

Hybrid is the right choice for long distance driving and plug in hybrid is the right choice for low hanging fruits to reduce the first 20 miles of a car's gasoline use with electric. It is the right approach and can dramatically cut oil consumption in the world, right now.

They just don't do go big or go home, and then only target the high end market. There are way more Corolla than Lexus on earth.

This is why.
I think your math is off a bit. Like off by one whole decimal point. I haven't seen statistics or articles about it but my understanding of the amount of power we're dealing with here would lead me to suspect it's more like nine hybrids per one EV. Not 90.

I think your math is off a bit. Like off by one whole decimal point. I haven't seen statistics or articles about it but my understanding of the amount of power we're dealing with here would lead me to suspect it's more like nine hybrids per one EV. Not 90.
I will dig up my source.
My son also loves cars, he recently bought a book about Toyota and its history.
It 90 hybrids for 1 EV.

They will always make more hybrids than EVs for this reason.
They can have a much bigger impact on global emissions with hybrids.

In the entire world I believe it is more like 90:1 when that data was collected. Having said that you also need to see how many EVs popped up in China in the last 5 years alone too, so this may be outdated by now.

Replacement batteries for a hybrid car run approximately 2 to $8,000

If one assumes that it's the material for the battery that is the vast majority of the cost then if the ratio was 90 to 1 then a battery replacement for a all electric vehicle would run between $180,000 to $720,000

This alone would indicate that a 90 to 1 ratio is probably overstating things but it may be more than a 9 to 1 ratio.

Replacement batteries for a hybrid car run approximately 2 to $8,000

If one assumes that it's the material for the battery that is the vast majority of the cost then if the ratio was 90 to 1 then a battery replacement for a all electric vehicle would run between $180,000 to $720,000

This alone would indicate that a 90 to 1 ratio is probably overstating things but it may be more than a 9 to 1 ratio.
Its 6:90.

Back