Toyota power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to do a power steering refresh on my 2008 Sienna. Toyota says to use Dexron III but the original fluid smells nothing like normal transmission fluid. Any recommendations?

ATF. Dealership will probably use T-IV. I'm using Mobil 1 ATF only because I had it handy. I agree the original isn't red and doesn't smell like ATF (which is to say bad, original didn't noticeably smell).

Yep. Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc or Red Line D6 are great options, same as what you put in the tranny. Red Line also has a Power-Steering fluid which might be better but then you're messing with two different fluids. Keeping it simple can be a bonus.

If it says dex III, I wouldnt run Toyota ATF or dex VI, which doesn't seem to have wide acceptance for non-AT apps.

I'd get Mobil 1 ATF and run that.

Dexron VI exceeds all the requirements of DexIII and would be excellent to use. You could probably use Toyota WS but it might be too light. I would go with DexVI, MaxLife or something better like D6.

I asked the Toyota dealership the same question on my 1990 4 Runner, which specifies DEX III - the answer was: regular Power Steering Fluid. That's what they use.

I've got Maxlife in it...same as what's in the trans that specifies DEX III...

I use any full synthetic Dex-III ATF in my Toyota. It has been working great for the last 50,000 miles. I chose a syn to better handle any high temperature spots in the system. I also installed a Magnefine in line filter in the return line to the reservoir. Every hydraulic system lives longer with clean oil.

Originally Posted By: martinq
Dexron VI exceeds all the requirements of DexIII and would be excellent to use. You could probably use Toyota WS but it might be too light. I would go with DexVI, MaxLife or something better like D6.

For AT service. That doesn't mean it is the case for MT, PS, etc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I wouldn't use an ATF where a MTF would be a better fit. ATF and PS fluids have very similar requirements although the PS should not require the friction modifiers used in ATF. Other than that, yes I would use ATF in a PS system unless there's a good reason not to.

For a MTF I would recommend Red Line MTL, MT85, MT90 unless you need to go lighter, then I would use Red Line D4 or D6. DexronVI would always be a better choice than a DexronIII fluid. If your tranny specs DexIII then go ahead and use DexVI and get the benefits of a more shear-stable high-quality fluid.

But back on topic, we were talking about a PS fluid for Toyota.

Last edited:
If it says dex III, I wouldnt run Toyota ATF or dex VI, which doesn't seem to have wide acceptance for non-AT apps.

The G's manual, oddly enough, recommends Dexron VI for power steering pumps in Canadian applications, though the cap just says Dexron. Matic J (and probably now Matic S) and Nissan PSF are listed as acceptable alternatives in the manual.

I wouldn't use an ATF where a MTF would be a better fit. ATF and PS fluids have very similar requirements although the PS should not require the friction modifiers used in ATF. Other than that, yes I would use ATF in a PS system unless there's a good reason not to.

For a MTF I would recommend Red Line MTL, MT85, MT90 unless you need to go lighter, then I would use Red Line D4 or D6. DexronVI would always be a better choice than a DexronIII fluid. If your tranny specs DexIII then go ahead and use DexVI and get the benefits of a more shear-stable high-quality fluid.

But back on topic, we were talking about a PS fluid for Toyota.

Which says Dex III. Dex VI is NOT for use in all the applications that III was. Whether that is just a certification issue, or something else, such as the use of specific elastomers, viscosity (has anyone ever done the test to see if Dex III shears the same in PSF and MT use, as examples), etc.

This isnt a discussion about when to use an alternate for MTF. We have plenty of those, some Ive started myself.

But I would not be putting Dex VI where is is not intended.

The quals will come in time, and I suppose it is good for someone to run the experiment... But there are enough good syn Dex III type fluids to do the job for now at least...

I have always used(with great success) Mobil 1 ATF as P/S Fluid in my Toyota's!

Well, in the last 2 yrs, I have replaced(on our '01 RX-300), the P/S return line(July 2010) and the High Pressure P/S line(July 2011) and in both instances when replacing the P/S fluid, I have used Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF in the P/S system.

Jump to NOV 2011 and to date, we started to have sticky/hard/lack of steering return in the power steering. I have never susspected the IMV ATF as the cause of this sticky/hard/lack of steering return but, I am now thinking about it! Although it may just be the P/S Pump, IDK yet.

While we're driving, the steering become more normal but, only while driving. But, when the engine is first started, the steering is "Catchy" with no steering return on it's own until it's warmed up.

I am going to Drain and Refill with Mobil 1 ATF before I delve futher into the steering system. I also use Mobil 1 ATF as the P/S fluid in my '04 Altima 2.5 steering system...Great stuff!

The reason I brought up this issue is because, some years ago on an older Honda Accord, I used an off brand of P/S fluid in the Honda P/S system and I had the "EXACT" same experience as I am having today. When I replaced the fluid with Honda Genuine P/S Fluid(or even BARDAHL P/S Fluid for Honda's), the steering slowly returned back to normal.

So, Mobil 1 is what I am going to try 1st in my Lexus as I have always had good success with it.

Also, I don't believe that when using the WRONG fluid in any system, that problems occure overnight. They may take time as in my instance(1-1.5 yrs).

Last edited:
I did a PS fluid changeout on our 2008 Sienna 2 years ago using Valvoline Dex/Merc (regular, not Maxlife) with no problems to report so far. I was originally going to use a Dexron VI ATF, but Toyota definitely specs a Dexron III for this application, and I got leery of using a non-Dex III fluid. The Valvoline Dex/Merc performs identically to the original fluid, no noises or steering stiffness during really cold weather.

Been using Mobil-1 Synthetic atf in my RX for almost 3 years now. Steering feels better than when I brought it home. In other words, no problems at all.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
I was originally going to use a Dexron VI ATF, but Toyota definitely specs a Dexron III for this application, and I got leery of using a non-Dex III fluid.

A Dexron VI certified fluid just means it meets the more stringent shear, viscosity, volitility and friction specs above / beyond that of Dexron III. Using a DexVI cert fluid would only be in your favor but that does not mean it is more suited to use as a PS fluid. PS fluid should not need the friction modfiers that ATF uses. Either way, I would always trust a DexVI fluid over a too-thick or high-shear DexIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back