Toyota Idle Relearn Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was randomly Googling things last night and came across a Toyota engine idle relearn procedure on a Toyota site and YouTube. But then other sites say it doesn't actually do anything and it should learn by just driving it or removing the negative battery cable.

Anyway, does anyone actually know if this is legit?

1. Get car up to operating temp
2. Shut off
3. Turn to on
4. Shut off
5. Turn to on for a few seconds then start
6. Put ebrake and brake on and idle for a few minutes while in drive
7. Done!

Supposedly a common issue is idle for Toyotas after battery replacement and in general?!?

On all the Toyotas I've owned with 2.4 engines, every time I unhooked the battery (for a variety of reasons) the car had to relearn the idle. After driving for 10 minutes or so I never found any difference between the before and after idle. I think it's just how the ECM was programmed. It was a little disconcerting the first time as it was after a spark plug change and I thought I had done something wrong.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Year?

Model?

I'm thinking newer ones. Like 2015-2020 but this procedure was done on like 2006 or 2008s or something.

Originally Posted by Aichiguy
On all the Toyotas I've owned with 2.4 engines, every time I unhooked the battery (for a variety of reasons) the car had to relearn the idle. After driving for 10 minutes or so I never found any difference between the before and after idle. I think it's just how the ECM was programmed. It was a little disconcerting the first time as it was after a spark plug change and I thought I had done something wrong.

See, and the turn on, turn off, let it idle, etc procedure basically seems like the same thing that would happen if you just drove it. That's why I'm curious if anyone knows of this does something different. Like throws it into some relearn mode or something. Preferring someone who actually knows per Toyota mechanics manual or something other than passed down legend. Lol

I had my stick shift 2002 2.4 actually stalling until it relearned the idle.

What I wound up doing was taking it up to 55 then throwing it in neutral and slowly coming to a stop. At 55 it runs at 1500 RPM as a "dashpot" and that was enough to keep it going.

I think it was one of their first cars with electric throttle and it had some kinks in the programming.

Sounds like a procedure for older cars. I'll check Techstream when I get home, but disconnecting the battery on my 2016 doesn't reset anything.

If you intend to have the ECU, or TCU, relearn any adaptations, such as idle, you have to go through Teachstream to put those modules in adapt mode.

Used to have a 2002 Camry 5 speed with the 2AZ-FE, that every time the battery was disconnected it wasn't able to relearn the idle even after hours of trying. The solution ended up being to scrub the sludge out of the drive-by-wire throttle body, and then it was able to re-learn the idle easily.

I've had no problems starting the engine cold, then let it run to full temp. Let the cooling fans cycle twice & then turn the AC on for a couple minutes & the idle relearn is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back