Toyota Composite Oil Filter Cap STUCK - Any guidance?

I also somewhat blame the tool mfgs for giving us ridiculously long 3/8 ratchets and ridiculously powerful impact drivers….just gives lube techs more excuses to overtighten/break stuff.
I've thought along these lines on the Pentastars that use a 24mm socket. For 99.9% of us that's 1/2" drive territory and unless you have a stubby 1/2" ratchet it's really easy for the average Joe to overtighten.

I've thought along these lines on the Pentastars that use a 24mm socket. For 99.9% of us that's 1/2" drive territory and unless you have a stubby 1/2" ratchet it's really easy for the average Joe to overtighten.
Before I invested in a set of 3/8” sockets that went up to 24mm, this set got used a lot:

429C95C0-BA00-4253-941C-2F16253AC899.jpeg

57F3A9E8-794C-4CC8-A51E-90930F622C22.jpeg

have a 1/2” T handle for my Pentastar

Reactions: D60
Yeah I just noticed OEM Tools (27197) and Lisle (13270) also sell variations of this, although they all seem similarly priced.
Probably the same Taiwanese supplier. Brake rotors are kinda the same story.

More prone? How? BMW uses composite for 20+ years, and other than people putting the o-ring in the wrong place, or forgetting it altogether, there are no issues. So, what is more?
Again, the low wage does not excuse ignorance or lack of training.
So has MB. If you don’t lube the o ring, it can be hard to remove. I had a 22 yr old MB and the original cap was fine. Are the Germans using a different composite??

So has MB. If you don’t lube the o ring, it can be hard to remove. I had a 22 yr old MB and the original cap was fine. Are the Germans using a different composite??
Not sure. Could be that Toyota messed up so it is more prone to issues here.

Bigger issue here is filter cage. Cage can detach and, voila, there goes your oil pressure. Many of these cages have small o-ring at the bottom. Mechanics take out o-ring and forget to install new one. On BMW it will immediately throw VANOS code.

So, yeah, Toyota can make super sturdy cap, but there are other variables where mechanics will screw up.

If manufacturers were focusing on Jiffy Lube, we would all drive T34 tanks.

Back