Toyota 5.7L, 0w-20 noisy, STP to thicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
You could always try a different brand of 0W20 to see if that makes a difference.

That is certainly an option. When I did run M1 0W20 I found it to be quiet, however some claim Mobil 1 is noisy.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
You could always try a different brand of 0W20 to see if that makes a difference.

That is certainly an option. When I did run M1 0W20 I found it to be quiet, however some claim Mobil 1 is noisy.

In my VW's Mobil1 0W40 was distinctively noisier than anything else. I did UOA, and M1 performed really good, but that noise was just irritating.
Same goes for Mobil1 ESP 5W30 I used in BMW X5 35d, but not as much as in VW, probably since BMW was diesel and had that distinctive diesel sound, so difference was there compared to other oils, but M1 ESP 5W30 was such good oil, that I just used it.
In Toyota I did not use anything but Mobil1, but valves are singing definiately.
I have some 1600 miles to next OCI, will try Valvoline 5W30 since it looks good on paper, and see.

I have noticed zero acoustic differences between oil brands or viscosiites. I have noise dosimeters for work, but have never even thought about trying to capture this.
To me an engie noise is always going to be an engine noise. Toyota injectors make the most noise tbh I can't hear much over that. Relying on oil selection to attenuate noise is the wrong approach. If it mechanical issue and worthwhile repair it, Maybe add some engine bay insulation if it is inate to the engine design.
If the only thing bothering someone is noise. I dont think oil selection should be the first path to resolving it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

I have noticed zero acoustic differences between oil brands or viscosiites. I have noise dosimeters for work, but have never even thought about trying to capture this.
To me an engie noise is always going to be an engine noise. Toyota injectors make the most noise tbh I can't hear much over that. Relying on oil selection to attenuate noise is the wrong approach. If it mechanical issue and worthwhile repair it, Maybe add some engine bay insulation if it is inate to the engine design.
If the only thing bothering someone is noise. I dont think oil selection should be the first path to resolving it.

I hear ya, no pun intended. Engine noise related to oil has always been a hot topic here. There are people claiming they can hear a change by changing brands or viscosity. I noticed changing from a well loved/hated boutique oil often written about here. Parked inside my garage I could here a difference in sound, my wife did as well. After dumping the oil the sound was much better, and stayed that way through the OCI. That was the end of using that oil for me. Honestly it is an argument I'd rather not get into.

Originally Posted by LS_Powah
Thanks everybody for the suggestions and discussion.

I ended up changing it all from Mobil 1 0w-20 (about 300 miles on it) to Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 HM. Quickly quiet on start up, and immediately quiet on the next cold startup (20 degree F) as well. Thanks for your input!

Glad to hear your issue was cured with a simple oil change.

I am late to the party but curious why I didn't see a lot of support for a quality 0W-30 oil for this situation in a Toyota 5.7?? I would have though 0W-30 would be a nice mild viscosity upgrade over 0W-20 while still keeping excellent starting performance on freezing cold days.

Originally Posted by chainblu
Some of you guys act like the difference between 0w20 and 5w30 is like water and molasses. It ain't so. 5w30 is only 10-12% thicker than Xw20 and as far as I'm concerned, falls into the THIN OIL category.

Depends if the 5w30 is a3 b3 or a5 b5. The a5 b5 stuff is classed as resource conserving and that is as you say 10-12 percent thicker than 0w20. But the a3b3 stuff can be up to 20 percent thicker than the a5b5 stuff.

I don't know if maxlife full synthetic is a thick 0-20 or not, but it was quieter in my wife's 2018 Nissan than PP was. I scored boatloads of it for $1.92 a quart so that's what it'll get.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I don't know if maxlife full synthetic is a thick 0-20 or not, but it was quieter in my wife's 2018 Nissan than PP was. I scored boatloads of it for $1.92 a quart so that's what it'll get.

In May of 2014 (last reply), did your Boatload Dealer even sell 0W20?

You lost me on that one? Your in Michigan, hit up meijer stores. That's where I've been getting it and they keep restocking it.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by D1dad

In May of 2014 (last reply), did your Boatload Dealer even sell 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back