Toyota 5.7L, 0w-20 noisy, STP to thicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you guys act like the difference between 0w20 and 5w30 is like water and molasses. It ain't so. 5w30 is only 10-12% thicker than Xw20 and as far as I'm concerned, falls into the THIN OIL category.

I'm a Mobil1 user and I agree. Mobil's formulations over the, at least, 10 years has been towards better fuel economy. The noise is there but not that bad, But, as those in the know have said here noise doesn't necessarily mean wear.

Originally Posted by LS_Powah
So here is my question. I want to thicken this brand new 0w20 to cut the cold start noise (and cold start wear). It went from dead silent when cold, to a four cam rattle trap after M1 0w20 was put in (OEM Toyota oil filter). I was thinking STP Synthetic oil treatment or a bit of M1 80w90 gear oil. What say the group?

That's odd, there's little difference between a 0W and a 5W oil at startup temperatures, in fact some 0W oils are thicker than their 5W counterpart except at extremely low temperatures.

And how are you measuring startup wear?

May I suggest being conservative:

Try half a bottle of the STP first.

Observe results.

If the noise decreases you are on the right track.

IMHO one bottle of STP in 8 quarts is not going to harm anything.

Next oil change use a synthetic 5W30.

Good day.

Rickey.

Never ever EVER put GL-5 in the engine. Bye bye bearings. Not compatible.

what filter did you use? Most noise I have is filter related.

Except with Mobil 1then it Oil related
smile.gif

I would DRAIN out a quart or 2 and add same M1 0W40 VAG Porsche MD LL oil .

NO STP NO gear oil !!!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Never ever EVER put GL-5 in the engine. Bye bye bearings. Not compatible.

what filter did you use? Most noise I have is filter related.

Except with Mobil 1then it Oil related
smile.gif

I would DRAIN out a quart or 2 and add same M1 0W40 VAG Porsche MD LL oil .

NO STP NO gear oil !!!

I agree with ARCOgraphite on the gear lube.
Totally wrong additive package.
Some GL additives will damage copper containing alloys!

With due respect to ARCOgraphite:

I still maintain that no damage will occur from a dose of STP.
I once ran 50 percent ( or more
eek.gif
) STP in an old beater to prevent mosquito kills
57.gif
Drove that car (307 70' Chevy Malibu) for several more years , then sold it still running.

As others have mentioned the warm up clatter does not necessarily equate with wear.
However it might equate with wear!

If STP quietens it down, drive on!

Please let us know how it turns out.

Rickey.

A HM 5W30 will quite it down. Just don't use M-1 if the noise bothers you. Unless it's for knock its not affecting engine longevity.

Valvetrain noise during cold engine starts in my GDI was noticeably reduced by going from 5W20 to 5W30. I also found that the new PP Dexos1 Gen2 5W30 to be better than PUP 5W30 from a noise standpoint.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Strange

When it warms up the oil is thinner not thicker. Thinner oil get up through passages better to quiet the top end down. Thickening the oil should make it worse.
If you have the old oil you could get a UOI to see what viscosity it was.
you might try a different brand. Mobil 1 is "reported" to be noisy in some engines. Pennzoil platinum, TGMO, or Castrol Magnetec are known to quiet engines down.
you could try a lucus, STP oil thickner but you wont know if it was the additives or viscosity that fixed the noise. Maybe swap out a quart or two for a quart of 10W-30.

You are confusing flow with thickness, the thickness is written on the grade 0W cold thickness 20-30 hot thickness of course flow (pumpability) is faster when hot.

Look, if it was quiet on TGMO (which is a 0W20) then I would just change back to TGMO...

FWIW, my Tundra was quiet on TGMO, quiet on Valvoline 0W20 (used by the Toyota Dealer here instead of TGMO) and is quiet now on Pennzoil Ultra 5W30. Granted, it's quite new, but still...it's happy with just about anything.

Is it just me or are we all overthinking this? Oil is really not that expensive, but abnormal engine noises are, and I would NOT leave the noisy oil in the engine. Drain it out (but you can leave the filter), refill with 5w-30, and use it for top ups or something else... I'd do that before I'd dump any STP or Lucas trash into the engine.

Last edited:
To the OP....

Didnt go trough all those fairytales...but...what I find stupid here is...

...I want thin oil...but will thicken it up a little with XY conoction... LoL

Buy thicker oil instead...and leave that oily API/Ilsac water behind
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Pelican

You are confusing flow with thickness, the thickness is written on the grade 0W cold thickness 20-30 hot thickness of course flow (pumpability) is faster when hot.

The number in front of the W is the oil's ability to pass the CCS and MRV test parameters at a given below 0C temperature. It is an extremely generous range, and one far broader than the relatively narrow window assigned to the grades as per their 100C viscosity.

Don't add any oil additives to your oil, they do nothing but gum things up. I've replaced more diesel injectors due to stiction issues with Lucas oil stabilizer than I care to count. Lucas stabilizer is thick as molasses in January, I can't imaging that doing anything positive to the oil, if anything it makes it harder to pump when cold!

Switch brands around and see what quiets it down the most. Mobil 1 is a "noisy" oil but that doesn't mean it's not protecting any less than a "quiet" oil per se. Read the manual and see if it recommends a 5W-30, but I wouldn't advise straying away from a 20 if it doesn't as VVT-i is finicky about oil grade.

If you want to cut cold start wear, don't use an additive like this. First off, this type of additive isn't loaded full of anti-wear chemistry. Even if it were, it's still messing with a fully formulated motor oil. Beyond that, you're not doing your cold start capabilities of your 0w-XX by tossing in something like this. A 0w-30 A3/B4, a 0w-30 ILSAC, a 5w-30 ILSAC, a 5w-40 HDEO, a 5w-30 HDEO, heck, even a 5w-50 are all better options that dosing a 0w-20 with this additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back