Town Car seats into Crown Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '03 CVPI came with a split bench up front, something that wasnt a problem until recently. I now need the room for a center console, so I went junkyard hopping in Spokane a few weeks ago for some bucket seats. What I found was, any CVPI buckets I came across were either worn completely out, or already taken.
Then I found a '05 Town car. It was setup with 40/20/40 where the middle seat would fold down into a console. The leather seats were dirty, and not in the best of shape, but not seeing much other for options, I took the whole set, excepting the middle seat/console which I would not use anyway.
I paid about $70 for the whole kit, front and rear. I was happy with the price. Would cost me more than that just in freight to order some off ebay or something.

(offtopic) Yes thats a electric cart carrier. Has come in very handy! I used it to bring my tools to work and then back home. I could roll the bottom part of my toolbox right up onto it. (/offtopic)

I got the rear seat in first. Is a bolt in affair, but I didnt get the front seats in until this week. There were two issues. First was, my passenger seat is manual, and the TC seats are power. The second issue is FoMoCo changed the design of one of the electrical plugs for '05, so even the driver side would not just plug in.

Initally I tried just swapping the manual tracks onto the seat. That was a no-start. I found the seat back mechanism is bolted to the tracks, and has to come out from the top side of the seat pan. Finally I just completely tore down the passenger TC seat. And seeing what was going on, I pulled my passenger seat, and tore it down as well.

The passenger seat ended up with, CV tracks, TC seat bottom tray, CV occupant sensor and all the wiring, CV manual seat back mechanism, and TC seat back. Then the TC cushions and covers dropped on. I did have to carefully cut a hole in the side of the leather for the manual seat back adjuster. I pulled it tight across and used a new razor blade to carefully cut a circle around the shaft, and thankfully it came out good, not wrinkled.

For the driver side, I only had to change the harness. And the harness wouldve dropped on, but the TC seat has lumbar adjustment. My harness wouldnt have used it. So I checked the car side of the wiring, and Ford was nice enough to leave the wires in the harness for it on that side. How wonderful.
I pulled the necessary wires out of the TC harness and added them to the CV harness. I did have to go to a seat out of my wrecked 2004 I still have and pull the connector pins with a few inches of wire out and splice them to the TC wires as they had the wrong pins for my connector.

I installed the seat and it works! It is very nice. That was something I missed from my old 2004.

Anyway heres some pics of them in.

Have gotten positive comments on the rear seat from my brother. He likes the raised portion on top. The CV seats are flat across the top, and how that works out if you're even an average adult is you can't lay your head back against anything.

Note manual lever.

Last edited:
Colt45ws: nice write up and clean car
smile.gif

Thank You
smile.gif

Makes me miss my Panther... Great job on the swap. Great thing about Panther's is that they're like Legos. Mix and match and most things will just fit.

Those look really comfortable!

My swap wasn't so involved, but I put Grand Cherokee seats into my Cherokee. I also cut and made my own bracket extenders to make the driver's seat 3" further back.

Great write up. When read 40/20/40. I made a passenger seat out of 3 broken power seats for the Grape, my son's college mobile, an '86 528e of course.

thumbsup2.gif

Years ago I put some 02’ish towncar cartier sears in my 94 CVLX. Huge improvement and well worth the wiring hassle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back