Touch up paint?

DR1

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan and the original color of my truck is Silver and the color code is K12. Is there a specific company that sells the absolute closest color match? I prefer not to use one of those paint pens.
I would be grateful for your feedback!

"Dr. ColorChip" claims that their paint repair system is very good. It ain't cheap, but cost a heck of a lot less than having a paint shop do it.

I have not use it myself, but they have commercials showing it being used on Moter Head Garage and it looks like the squeegee type applicators they use do a nice job of filling in chips and not ending up being higher than the original paint.

Reactions: DR1
Maybe Trav or some other paint pro will chime in, but I'm of the opinion that evem OEM factory paint jobs probably vary from batch to batch over a period of time. So getting a bottle or spray can of exact match might be hit or miss.

Having said that, if you Google car touch up paint, there are lots of companies that offer OEM touch up paint in small containers.

Here's one that lists your K12 paint: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/nissan/2008/titan/

Believe it or not, a lot of these shades go by the VIN number today. There seems to be slight variations in the batches of paint applied at the factory.
But yes, most major automotive paint suppliers will provide you with a match. I've also witnessed a "Mobile Bumper Repair" guy mix an exact match in the back of his truck, going by the VIN.
Check with your nearest body shop.

Maybe Trav or some other paint pro will chime in, but I'm of the opinion that evem OEM factory paint jobs probably vary from batch to batch over a period of time. So getting a bottle or spray can of exact match might be hit or miss.

Having said that, if you Google car touch up paint, there are lots of companies that offer OEM touch up paint in small containers.

Here's one that lists your K12 paint: https://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/nissan/2008/titan/
I just placed more from here a few days ago.

"Dr. ColorChip" claims that their paint repair system is very good. It ain't cheap, but cost a heck of a lot less than having a paint shop do it.

I have not use it myself, but they have commercials showing it being used on Moter Head Garage and it looks like the squeegee type applicators they use do a nice job of filling in chips and not ending up being higher than the original paint.
I have and they make a great product...It takes a little practice to get it right. Also I like that you dont need to go over the paint with a clear coat as the paint has it in there already...

I have used Dr. Colorchip twice. In one case the color was noticeably lighter than the factory paint and in the other it was noticeably darker. And I made sure to stir it thoroughly in both cases. I also found their procedure to smear the blob of paint over the chip with the supplied latex glove to be just plain dumb.

I used a small silicone "squeegee" that came with a cell phone screen protector to wipe over the blob and it worked perfectly. For what Dr. Colorchip charges, they could include one like the cell phone screen protector manufacturers do.

All said, the paint did do a good job in filling in the chips and the repair is nice and level. But fairly easy to spot because of the poor color match. Good thing both chips aren't much larger than the head of a pin.

Back