Total Repair & Maintenance Cost over 200k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Owners in the dry sunbelt have an overwhelming advantage when it comes to the cost of owning, insuring and maintaining an automobile or pickup for personal use.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Who's doing the labor?

Those are two very big factors.

People also have different standards. Some people tolerate some broken parts, others don't.

Some people will drive on bald tires, broken struts and jump start their vehicle every morning where some will not tolerate a cup holder out of alignment..
Some change oil every 3000 miles and others wait until the zero percent.

I just recently picked up two toyota 4 runners, both are 1999 models for resale from two different individuals. Both have over 200K miles. One of them appears to have nothing ever done to it, the other seems to have all the maintenance up to date.. believe it or not the one with nothing ever done to it drives better and seems like the better vehicle if i were to keep one of them.

About $10,000.

0-100k dealer:
However $2500 and first 100k the major service and brakes etc were performed at dealer using a credit card kickback call Subaru dollars and cost us nothing.

100k-200k was performed by indy mechanic $65/hr but retail parts prices.

$3000 of it was recent for burned valve however in process of doing repair about $700 of maintenance performed since motor removed and everything open. Basically part price only.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I just recently picked up two toyota 4 runners, both are 1999 models for resale from two different individuals. Both have over 200K miles. One of them appears to have nothing ever done to it, the other seems to have all the maintenance up to date.. believe it or not the one with nothing ever done to it drives better and seems like the better vehicle if i were to keep one of them.

Were these two vehicles driven in the same type of climate? 200k in the rust belt is not the same as 200k in Florida or other sun states.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Owners in the dry sunbelt have an overwhelming advantage when it comes to the cost of owning, insuring and maintaining an automobile or pickup for personal use.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Who's doing the labor?

Those are two very big factors.

People also have different standards. Some people tolerate some broken parts, others don't.

Well said, I only fix the things that are really needed. Labor does cost a lot, but my free time is also valuable, and helps to keep me sane while I go out and make a living. I am perfectly happy to pay the experts at my local garage the $90 per hour that it costs to have the repair done correctly.

Others need every little thing back to like new condition, and also do not mind spending untold hours of their free time on these things. I take my hat off to folks like that, but its not for me.

I recommend NOS parts for older Hondas. I was recently burned by a NAPA ignition coil (IC676) and went right back to an NOS coil.

Wow, that Napa coil failed already? You just installed it last week, right? I told you it would fail on you, but even I wasn't expecting it to be that soon!

Let's see. My used Mazda Protege5 I've spent $5756.57 in M&R including a rebuild of the engine because something happened in my first month of ownership.

I've driven it over 100k miles since then, so about $0.0575/mile in M&R. That includes the rebuild, two sets of tires, brakes, wiperblades, struts, wheel bearings and the right hand lower control arm.

Had the engine issue not presented, that figure would be in the 0.027/mile range.

So a sort of worst case scenario would be in the $0.05/mile range. I've not bothered to look at the stack of receipts from the PO to see how much they spent. I know the car was maintained, but was owned in the city, so it had a pretty hard life in it's first 89k miles before I bought it.

So my figure is from 89k to 190k miles.

YMMV

On my G35, I have spent almost $8,000 just on brakes and tires to get to 160K. I have not had any failures yet. I proactively replaced upstream O2 sensors and MAF at about 100K, plugs a few times, serpentine belts 3 times. The A/C belt a few more times due to some issues with it shredding at high RPM.

Coolant flush at 100K and 150K, Rear diff and MTF every 40K. engine OCI ~6.5K. I use synthetic for everything.

The only issue was a radiator fan that was replaced under a campaign of some sort.

I am at well over $10K for maintenance in the last 10 years, which I consider to be decent. If I used harder tires and drove easier I could have easily cut that in half.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I spend about $200 - $300 dollars a year on parts. Do my own labor except for wheel alignment. The last time I took my explorer into a shop was 12 years ago...
Wabbout the upkeep on the 735i? The big 6 is great engine.
grin2.gif

It took over $11K of maintenance and repairs to get a 99 Taurus from 42K to 170K miles. Then the heads went up and I ditched it.

I don't buy Fords any more.

I've gotten from 33K to 135K on my Corolla with zero repairs, only oil and ATF changes, filters, 3 sets of tires (still running the last two, Winter and All Season), and a set of front brake pads and rotors. That's it. When it gets to 200K maybe I'll dig up this thread and post again.

Well, I bought my 2004 VW new, drove it to 314,000miles. When I got rid of it I tried to tally up the numbers. I came up with:

-7.9c/m deprecation
-3.4c/m repairs and maintaince (nearly $11k)
-6.9c/m fuel
-18c/m for fuel, repairs, depreciation

YMMV.

My Corolla before 200k:

1 radiator, AC condensor (accident related), brakes (3 sets), tires (4 sets), struts, alignment (3 times, last one with camber kits), timing belt / water pump /acc belts (3 sets), head lights (2 sets), tail lights (3 sets), tail light hardness (melting bulb socket), 2 engine mounts, 6 ATF changes + 1 ATF pan gasket, 1 exhaust manifold (cracked), 2 spark plug sets (platinum), 1 power steering hose, 1 coolant hose set, maybe there's more but I lost count.

I'd say it is around 2-3k total because I did most of the work except timing belt, and they are wear and tear instead of breakdown.

Integra:

Similar to above except an engine top end rebuild and an ignition coil, but no power steering hose, light harness, manifold crack, or engine mount issue. The top end rebuild cost $1k 1st time around, and around $1.3k 2nd time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back