Total Quartz 9000 Future- 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for some feedback.
Like most here I need oil counseling- over the top. lol
I switched to the above on a 2L 4 cyl. with 14,500 miles on the car.
No noises, no bad stuff and everything seems fine. I'm using a fresh MicroGreen filter
and I think I got used to Castrol Magnatec on all my other vehicles and it stays rather
clear on the dipstick and I have ran it 7500-10K on the same type of vehicle ( Mitsu OS)
and it looked great. No oil use now or before.

I'm using Total Quartz 9000 Future because I had it and no other use for it.
But at even 1200 miles it has that nasty amber varnish look to it on the dipstick.
It didn't pour out like that. Yes I know oil can be all colors too. But now at 2200 miles
it looks like a cheap Jiffy Lube oil change. Very amber and looks like liquid varnish.

Do you think this is just its natural color after some use or do you think its cleaning far better and thus
looks this way because of that. The car has had two oil changes after the factory fill in that 14,500 miles already. Both CM.

Thanks

Darn, I wish I knew. My pal has your engine in a 2013 Outlander (not Sport) and is religious with his OCI's. I'll ask.

I used Total Quartz 9000 but in 5W-40 in a turbo Saab so it just got "normally" darker with time.

I gotta say, it sure was quiet oil. Kira

Thanks- it actually does get better mpg then I got with the 5w20 Mag.
And it is measurable but I dislike that grubby color- lol
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Garak
It is, it's just exceedingly difficult to find.

The more difficult an oil is to find, the better the quality? LOL!

Better, maybe not, but certainly more costly.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
i didn't know Total was sold in North Ameirca

But Tesco has promotions here every now and then on Total and Elf oils.
blush.gif

I bought it on Amazon. Total Quartz 9000 in 5w30.

Yeah, it's next to the Pennzoil Ultra
laugh.gif

Years back I would always get that amber colour with Selenia oils. Probably caused by oxidation, and reaction of chemicals.

Color does not matter unless it gets clumpy
laugh.gif
Should be nearly black by the time it's changed. It's doing its job and keeping stuff in suspension. What filter does it have on it?

You will think I am being tongue in cheek but I am not. I have come to believe that all the BIG NAME oils are protective enough so I am going to just try different oils to have run them once. The one I REALLY want but can't get is Petronas (I have some Total). I will say I have consistently run GC for the last 8 years but I am running out of the Green so everything else is open for trying. I do have one question and I don't know where I developed this line of thought. I am concerned about going back to non-ester based oil after running something like Redline. Concern or not?

Last edited:
But if they did not do business in the US - could Uncle Sam have hit them with $400 million in FCPA fines ?

I have put about 33k miles on my 2.4l. I have had most major brands in it. Pennzoil seemed to be the best as far as color retention and gas mileage. For me, Mobile 1 was the worst I tried, it got black like diesel oil after about 2500 miles and started loosing gas mileage at around 4k. My second favorite oil was Castrol magnatec with third being Castrol Gold Bottle. (Extended Performance) just my .02. I currently own two Mitsubishis. Now if I could just find an oil I'm happy with for the Mirage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
You will think I am being tongue in cheek but I am not. I have come to believe that all the BIG NAME oils are protective enough so I am going to just try different oils to have run them once. The one I REALLY want but can't get is Petronas (I have some Total). I will say I have consistently run GC for the last 8 years but I am running out of the Green so everything else is open for trying. I do have one question and I don't know where I developed this line of thought. I am concerned about going back to non-ester based oil after running something like Redline. Concern or not?

Redline to expensive unless Racing ... If you are changing brands/formulas every oil-change while searching, your motor will experience all the mixes and most chemistry's. The change from one to another is not an issue in this scenario as it's happening all the time.

But I prolly wouldn't do it. What are your successful search criteria?

Last edited:
My last oil change on my SI was with Total Quartz 9000 5w30. I had no issues with it, I paid a song for the jug of oil so I was pretty happy to run it. (I got a deal from a friend at a parts store)

I did not have any complaints about the oil, but I did not ask the car how it felt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back