Total Quartz 9000 Future 0W-20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something different for y'all.
Performed by ALS Tribology in Atlanta.
I got this oil from Amazon. Bottles are labeled "made in the USA," API SN and ILSAC GF-5.
I only got this oil because, when people ask me what oil I'm using, I can say "Total Quartz 9000 Future" and pronounce "Total" with a French accent. Bon Jour!

Code:

Total Quartz 9000 Future 0W-20

Date: 7/31/14

Iron
Chromium
Lead
Copper
Tin 2

Aluminum 2

Nickel
Silver
Titanium
Vanadium

Silicon 4

Sodium 508

Potassium 7

Magnesium
Calcium 1734

Barium
Phosphorous 738

Zinc 853

Molybdenum
Boron

Water

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 7.9

Viscosity (cSt 40C) 41.6

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 6.8

Looks pretty much the same as the Valvoline add pack. I like it
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And I wonder how long it will take for someone to complain about the lack of moly???

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And I wonder how long it will take for someone to complain for the lack of moly???

Where's the moly???

If we can tell the trinuclear moly from regular by the concentration, this must have the next generation "quadnuclear" (???).

Ha!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If we can tell the trinuclear moly from regular by the concentration, this must have the next generation "quadnuclear" (???).

Yep. Ashland in a different bottle. I hate it.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And I wonder how long it will take for someone to complain about the lack of moly???

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And I wonder how long it will take for someone to complain for the lack of moly???

Where's the moly???

5 minutes, not too bad!

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Yep. Ashland in a different bottle. I hate it.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

$3.79 as NAPA Synthetic last month.

Not a bad buy at that price.

I don't know how much the fancy Total Quartz name costs.

Probably similar to Royal Purple, the other boutique Synpower.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Remember that Total is an actual oil company in the way that Shell and XOM are, not a blender like Ashland or RP.

Not so much in the USA.

Total sold its US refineries in the 1990's to Ultramar Diamond Shamrock (later purchased by Valero), then acquired Fina, and the last US Fina refinery in Port Arthur, TX.

I interviewed for a FCCU engineer job there in 2000 while they were building the petrochemicals facilities at that site, but I took a different opportunity at that time. I don't remember lubricants as part of that facility's product slate and they don't show lubricants as part of that facility's product portfolio currently.

http://www.totalpetrochemicalsusa.com/

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: Garak
Remember that Total is an actual oil company in the way that Shell and XOM are, not a blender like Ashland or RP.

Not so much in the USA.

Total sold its US refineries in the 1990's to Ultramar Diamond Shamrock (later purchased by Valero), then acquired Fina, and the last US Fina refinery in Port Arthur, TX.

I interviewed for a FCCU engineer job there in 2000 while they were building the petrochemicals facilities at that site, but I took a different opportunity at that time. I don't remember lubricants as part of that facility's product slate and they don't show lubricants as part of that facility's product portfolio currently.

http://www.totalpetrochemicalsusa.com/

Assuming that basestocks, within reason, are just commodity chemicals, much of the end game is the quality and performance of the add packs into a finished product.

So the question may become if Total provides their own add packs, if not their own basestocks (from elsewhere) for their finished products sold in the USA.

I know in the Caribbean, they have been pushing hard to gain business, and we have had some discussions with them.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Not so much in the USA.

Absolutely - their North American presence isn't great. My point was, however, that they can do their own motor oil without providing rebranded Synpower.
wink.gif
I would assume they have their own additive packages, but we really need someone from Europe in the know to give us an answer. Then again, how it's done in Europe versus Total NA might be different, too, especially for ILSAC type lubes.

Such speculation by JHRZ2 and Garak seems directionally opposite to the OP's post that the bottle label says "Made in USA".

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
Bottles are labeled "made in the USA," API SN and ILSAC GF-5.

If components were supplied outside the USA, wouldn't the Total bottle labels most likely reflect something similar to the SOPUS "Made in the USA from domestic & foreign components"?

That's a good question. I should take a look at any Shell and Mobil products I have at home and see what they do with the wording in Canada, for the sake of comparison. As you point out, of course, it's just speculation.

I look forward to your findings Garak.

The Total 0W-30 is something I might recommend to a friend who recently purchased a used 2005 Audi A6. The owner's manual calls for 0W-30 API SJ and ACEA A2 or A3. It also says 5W-30 or 5W-40 can be used if 0W-30 isn't available.

I've pointed him to the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 on Amazon as NW Ohio climate doesn't necessarily require a 0W motor oil if a 5W is an acceptable alternative (the dealer put 5W-30 in it for him, unknown if it met A2 or A3 spec though).

Well, the stuff up here is all over the map. What a mess. These are the things I found on my shelf:

The only one that had the clear wording, like what was already mentioned, was the Castrol Syntec 5w-50 on my shelf, which stated that it was made in the USA from domestic and imported components, with the business about only for sale in the Americas (as per GC). Royal Purple said nothing, and it isn't even labeled with French for the Canadian market, but it's here, nonetheless. Mobil Super 1000 5w-30 said made in Canada, but that's no surprise, given that it's our Mobil conventional, and I have no idea whether it's the same or similar to Mobil Super conventional in the U.S., although it's been reported it uses a sodium additive package. Mobil 1 5w-30 says blended in the USA and packaged in Canada. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 doesn't indicate anything about country of origin - perhaps it's on the box when one gets a case; I'll have to check at Imperial Oil. I don't have a Delvac 1300 15w-40 pail handy. PYB, QSGB, and Defy, all in 5w-30, only indicate that they are licensed to Pennzoil-Quaker State Canada, copyright SOPUS. I currently have no Ashland products to check.

OK, thanks.

I'm siding with the "Valvoline in a bottle with a Total label" crowd for now based on the available info. It must meet Total's specs for them to put their label on the bottle, and it doesn't appear anything in it is imported by the label info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back