Toshiba Satellite Laptop Running...Crawling slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Toshiba Satellite 15.6" with AN AM 1.4 ghz processor...4 gigs of RAM...rarely used I bought it when Windows 8 was winding down and you could upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the purchase...so say 2015 or so. Still looks new. I did the Windows 10 upgrade as soon as it was released. I have almost nothing on the HD drive. Has only been used for email and Internet.
I do have MS Office 365 on it...latest version. It's not the wifi that's slow, it's loading pages or programs without even connecting to the internet.

It is painfully slow. I ran Avast...it's clean. How can I speed a pc that has hardly been used up?

Last edited:
I had a used machine with similar behavior with paltry specs and simply dropped a $50 SSD drive in ran free transfer software and never looked back. 3-4 second boot times and instant results.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Toros
Originally Posted By: Shannow
using chrome ?

Yes.

Pull up task manager, and look at disk usage. If it's running at 100%, and with stupidly low transfer numbers, then close down chrome through task manager and see what it does.

I reinstalled W10 3 times to get performance back (and I DID get performance back), only to have it dragged to a crawl on browsing because of Chrome.

I can type this normally in the MS browser. click on Chrome, then go on holidays and come back to a BITOG login.

Can uninstall chrome and reinstall it makes no difference. Reinstall W10, it works for weeks.

Originally Posted By: Toros
using chrome ?

Yes.

Pull up task manager, and look at disk usage. If it's running at 100%, and with stupidly low transfer numbers, then close down chrome through task manager and see what it does.

I reinstalled W10 3 times to get performance back (and I DID get performance back), only to have it dragged to a crawl on browsing because of Chrome.

I can type this normally in the MS browser. click on Chrome, then go on holidays and come back to a BITOG login.

Can uninstall chrome and reinstall it makes no difference. Reinstall W10, it works for weeks.

So Chrome is consuming resources and bogging the system down even if I'm not on the internet?

It did on mine...just offering suggestions.

At it's worst, I would make and eat breakfast while I waited to get the login window on Windows 10...ad often have to give it the three finger salute (CTRL aLT dELETE) to get it to pop up at all.

All Chrome all disk usage.

Windows 10 reset is pretty handy in these cases.

I did it on a laptop that I bought with 8 that upgraded to 10 and it even managed to get rid of all of the factory bloatware!

I'm guessing you bought a netbook with really slow processor.
Amd E-series are painfully slow. If that is the case...

Your question is asking "how do I make my moped go 55mph"..

The answer: buy a new computer and research how fast the processor is before buying it.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Which model AMD 1.4GHz processor does it have? If it's something like an E1-2500 APU I can see why it's crawling: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+E1-2500+APU&id=2019 As has been mentioned an SSD would help, and you might want to try a lightweight browser. For me Chrome is a resource hog.

Not necessarily. I’ve got an old netbook with the older, slower AMD APU E-350. It became so slow that I had to wait tens of seconds on occasion, especially if multiple apps were open. I got a free SSD and it works acceptably quickly now. Still slow, compared to my gaming laptop, but substantially faster than before!

I would NOT have upgraded the HDD if the SSD wasn’t free. I honestly thought it was just the age of the old netbook. Knowing what I know now, and if this netbook was used somewhat frequently (I rarely use it now) I’d for sure have upgraded the HDD a long time ago.

Note: he netbook was slow, even after a fresh install of W10, after all updates, but with the old HDD.

In the search box type system configuration, in the services tab check the box on the bottom that has "hide all Microsoft services"
The uncheck any that are left, reboot.
In the task manager disable anything you don't want or need starting with windows, reboot. Give it a shot.

I have a Toshiba..... mine is from 2013.
Do a Windows Reset - make sure your Windows Updates are current first - drop Chrome for Mozilla Firefox 61.02.

I'm assuming you already did a Cleanup of Caches - Cookies - Temp Files.....etc. Assuming your Startup check-boxes in System Configuration Tool - that you don't need on when the Computer wakes, have been cleared also. Also Defrag that laptop regularly.

Sometimes the various Antivirus software now (even free ones) will slow the computer. I have changed to the latest & greatest Windows Defender that's loaded with Windows 10 and that will speed-up your computer.

There's been several Updates since April 1803. But the bugs have not affected my surfing speeds. They've actually improved my speeds in 1803..... both laptop and desktop.

Windows Defender is noticeably faster than the three free Antivirus I've loaded in the past six months. I think Microsoft is learning how to bug subscription Antivirus programs.... both paid and free. They all seem to speed up performance initially. Then about 2-6 weeks later, things slow and I'm uninstalling them.

Panda's latest is the about the best one right now for continuous good programming. Avast is the worst I found. Avast even messed with my Networking settings, causing drops in both my Ethernet and WIFI.

The latest 1803 even crawled into Network Settings and wrecked havoc there. A download of 'Driver Easy' fixed them and took care of a few outdated Drivers I had. Did I say just a few?..... actually about 12 Drivers needed updating.

--------------------

I forgot to mention the Driver Easy Download to member Toros. Doing Driver Updates will improve that Toshiba also Toros. Go to their website to install it.

Check the task manager to see what's going on.

There was a lot of updates since Windows 10 was released.

Windows updates install in the background and may affect your speed.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Check the task manager to see what's going on.

There was a lot of updates since Windows 10 was released.

Windows updates install in the background and may affect your speed.

As soon as I posted I grabbed my old netbook and fired it up (mostly to update it, as I do periodically). It was loading things incredibly slowly and, sure enough, it's updating: 2018-07 cumulative update, malicious SW removal tool, etc.

Now that the dl is complete and it has been a while since resource-hogging programs have started and updated (e.g., AVG AV), my E-350-powered netbook is operating normally. I now recall that it took MUCH longer to stabilize when I refreshed W10 using an older version, requiring a lot more updates to take place.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Did you get rid of Cortana and all the win10 intrusive ad and bloatware? Have you tried running malwarebytes?

Be careful with this. I search for and open 99% of my programs using the following procedure: Tap "windows" button --> begin typing what I want to find (e.g., "contr..." for control panel) --> select what shows in the findings (e.g., control panel shows up as soon as I begin typing "contr..."). I tried turning off Cortana last year and must have messed something up, because it also removed the search capability I just mentioned. It was so tedious to have to open up programs manually, that I refreshed Windows just because of that.

Ok...all good info. except for the useless suggestion to buy a new laptop with a faster processor...that took a lot of brainpower.

I did a factory reset on the Asus laptop...2016 or so. Runs like new. Did a Windows reset on the Toshiba. Much better! I'm going to rely on Windows Defender instead of the free antivirus programs. I noticed that things slow down after a short while after installing them. They're annoying too. Constantly popping useless windows up.
Good to go. Chrome is a bad habit I can't kick so I put back on both machines. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back