Toro 621 or 721 Single Stage

Its fall, Any opinions of these single stage snow removal units from Toro? Toro 621 runs a Loncin 163 chonda, clone of a Honda gx160 Toro 721 runs a Loncin 212 chonda, clone of a gx200 I actually think Toro is dicontinuing the 621 perhaps this year? I believe this was purposeful, since they already have a lower powered 421/521 and Honda has upgraded its HS520 to a HS720, and is now using the gc190. I still think the Chonda is better than a true Honda gc motor, but I do worry about parts long term. The 'joystick' option on the new HS720 is awful. I played with it a bit at a local OPE dealer. Seems fussy and actually hard to drive. Maybe they hadnt assembled it quite right. Anyone have any experience with either the 621/721 or even the new HS720?

you can pick up good condition ones on craigslist here for under 200$ easily in the offseason. worse case scenario you need a scraper and paddles ~~65$ I still prefer my toro 2450 with the r-tek 2 cycle. I had a toro ccr 3650 With the crank chute etc. sold it for 160$ in the offseason last year. Still like my manual turn manual angle 2450.. if I was going to buy new the Power Clear® 721 R-C would be on the list. Its the commercial model with longer life components and manual angle/manual direction.

Last edited:

Ope_Freak

I was looking at the 'service manual' posted on Toro's web-site for the Toro 621. In the sevice manual it clearly states: Note: The only internal parts available for this engine are gaskets and seals. This is why i'm hesitant to buy either. I think I'm going to try to find a used Toro 221QZR. I hate throw-away stuff you can't get parts for...

JTK

Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
I hate throw-away stuff you can't get parts for...
I hear you, but a replacement Loncin engine is waaaay cheaper than the sum of it's parts. I'd go with the highest power single-stage you can get, now that they're all OHV 4 cycles. If you can find a gem of a single stage for cheap, go that route. I got bit (IMO) on an Ariens SS522 recently. It took me ~$140 in parts to get it right, on top of the price I paid for it off CL.

Ope_Freak

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
I hate throw-away stuff you can't get parts for...
I hear you, but a replacement Loncin engine is waaaay cheaper than the sum of it's parts. I'd go with the highest power single-stage you can get, now that they're all OHV 4 cycles. If you can find a gem of a single stage for cheap, go that route. I got bit (IMO) on an Ariens SS522 recently. It took me ~$140 in parts to get it right, on top of the price I paid for it off CL.
Unfortunately you can't even buy that specific model from Loncin anymore, at least its not listed on their web-site, although an entire new engine maybe avaialable from Toro. Its actually a law that manufactures have to keep providing parts up to 7 years after a discotinued model. Either was its frustrating. Seems like their engines are so shifty. They release new products all the time, probably to avoid patent laws (if any). If you need a replacement connecting rod bolt and after warranty, for example, you would need to replace the whole engine. Unlikely yes, but you would spend probably $150 on a new engine when all you need is a new bolt @ maybe $.50