Top Fuel Track Length

Not that I'm an avid fan, I was also somewhat annoyed by the decision to shorten the run. But, I think there are good reasons behind the decision, including safety.

The proprietor of an automotive machine shop recently suggested to me that lopping off that 320' of track means greatly reduced costs for the teams. With the shorter track, they'll get more runs out of the engine block, for example. Having to replace everything less often is desirable.

Everything will last longer with a track that's 1/3 shorter - tires, differential, transmission, engine.

Not that I'm an avid fan, I was also somewhat annoyed by the decision to shorten the run. But, I think there are good reasons behind the decision, including safety.

The proprietor of an automotive machine shop recently suggested to me that lopping off that 320' of track means greatly reduced costs for the teams. With the shorter track, they'll get more runs out of the engine block, for example. Having to replace everything less often is desirable.

Everything will last longer with a track that's 1/3 shorter - tires, differential, transmission, engine.

If nothing had changed with the cars besides reducing the length of the track, the proprietor of the machine shop might have a point.

A lot has changed with the cars since 2008 when Scott was killed (RIP).

Everything is pushed harder today in the 1000 ft era, than it was in 2008. Nothing is lasting longer. There could be innovation which would lead to quicker and faster cars, and even to better parts longevity, if not for the pesky regulations which are intended to and do slow them down.

If nothing had changed with the cars besides reducing the length of the track, the proprietor of the machine shop might have a point.

A lot has changed with the cars since 2008 when Scott was killed (RIP).

Everything is pushed harder today in the 1000 ft era, than it was in 2008. Nothing is lasting longer. There could be innovation which would lead to quicker and faster cars, and even to better parts longevity, if not for the pesky regulations which are intended to and do slow them down.
What do those inside the sport think about going to single mag or smaller fuel pump, while opening up the other restrictions such as RPM and nitro percentage?

Seems like it would limit the final potential while still allowing some innovation to set the tuners apart.

The handwringers who are afraid of these machines, seem content for the moment with where the performance level is. Of course that will change at some point, with the result likely to be slowing them down further.

Tuning is still a very complicated puzzle. So the teams with the most experience, attention to detail, and the necessary budget, will still generally run near the top of the field.

Most of my colleagues feel the same as I do. Watering down the performance, is not what Fuel cars should be about.

there is NOTHING that compares to NITRO POWER, but as technology keeps improving + costs getting higher you can see only a few teams that can afford to do it!!! without sponsors the list would be even less. the teams with big $$$$ replace costly parts on a schedule, hopefully before breakage, and teams with lesser budgets use the used parts until they go boom!!! i would think keeping NITRO racing alive will require more changes to be competitive for all but a few high $$$$$ teams. they are surely something to be experienced IN PERSON!!!

The magnetos have so much current and voltage that as long as there was still some center electrode in the ceramic of the plug it would still arc across like a surface gap plug. Like everything else in top fuel, the mags are very sophisticated.

Back