Top 10 Guitarists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, Beck!
Steve Vi
Engvy Malstein - How ever you spell his name?!
Johnny Lang
Don't forget Roy Clark

offtopic.gif

Not sure I've even heard any of Yngwie's music. Can anyone recommend a few songs?

I can't believe Joe Satriani isn't on the list...or mentioned as of yet. Eddie VH used to be a favorite until I heard Joe.
First time I every heard him was on the way to school in '87...blew me away and was this song: Satch Boogie
Another one: Rasberry Jam Delta-V

Last edited:
Quote:

This was Rolling Stone's list from 2003. Anybody wanna pick some bones?

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Duane Allman
3. B. B. King
4. Eric Clapton
5. Robert Johnson
6. Chuck Berry
7. Stevie Ray Vaughan
8. Ry Cooder
9. Jimmy Page
10. Keith Richards

I think Page should be higher, and I don't see Mark Knopfler or Steve Cropper, the Edge, or several blues players I could list.
And glaringly, no Segovia.
hornets_nest.gif

Just the fact that Les Paul is not on the list, much less at the top of that list speaks volumes about the Rolling Stone's list. Link to Les Paul

Malmsteen is actually a virtuoso. You won't hear much of his stuff on any mainstream bubble gum stations.
If you have heard Ritchie Blackmore, then you have a feel for his stuff.

I also mentioned Neil Zaza. This guy is also one of those sorts that has more talent than he knows what to do with.
I have seen him a couple of times in small venues, and he absoutley controls the place. And many of his licks seem a bit hurried and out of control, but when you hear him play the same riff over, it will be identical to any previous performances.

That was also one of Jimmy Hendrick's attributes...almost uncanny repeatablity of even the most difficult of his riffs. Other than that, I agree with him being held on a high pedistal due to his unfortunate demise and the aura surrounding it.
Here are a couple of Zaza's things for your enjoyment;
Neil Zaza 1
Neil Zaza 2

IMO:
overrated:
Clapton, Page, Satriani, Yinwie or whatever, Vai, Keith Richards,

underrated: GILMOUR, Blackmore, Don Felder, Danny Kirwan, Peter Greene, Buckingham, Neil Young, Adam Jones, John Fruicante (RHCP).

Some of the hardest licks requiring the most musical knowledge are Jazz. It is the highest skill level of guitar playing, with a minimum of special effects. I am not a big fan, but I know how hard it is.
It seems only other musicians really appreciate Jazz guitarists.
A glaring omission of this great guitarist list is Chet Atkins. Jaw dropping when at his best.

Doc Watson. Blind from an early age. No respect for bluegrass? As much virtuosity there as anywhere. Plus a shout out for Robbie Robertson. Clapton raved about him.

It depends on what they are ranking. is it guitarists that have had an influence on music? that's what it seems like to me, or is it that they are technically excellent? is it that they evoke great emotion?

Albert Lee and **** Dale are excellent guitarists also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back