Top 10 Guitarists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was Rolling Stone's list from 2003. Anybody wanna pick some bones?

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Duane Allman
3. B. B. King
4. Eric Clapton
5. Robert Johnson
6. Chuck Berry
7. Stevie Ray Vaughan
8. Ry Cooder
9. Jimmy Page
10. Keith Richards

I think Page should be higher, and I don't see Mark Knopfler or Steve Cropper, the Edge, or several blues players I could list.
And glaringly, no Segovia.
hornets_nest.gif

I agree with you on Mark Knopfler, personally i'd like to have seen rick derringer or maybe even eddie van halen on that list. But im suprised they didnt list any beatles! Or maybe even peter frampton....

Dunno why Hendrix tops all the lists, (probably because I don't really like his stuff (or beatles either))

No Ingvey Maumstein? No Neil Zaza?
Gee....

Chuck Berry need not be on that list.
Nor Keith Richards or BB King, for that matter.

Malmsteen I was thinking also, but I've a hard time thinking of him seriously since he ate everyone at that bus crash a few years ago.

Zack Wilde spits too much.

I'm with MarkC going with Les Paul. You want to hear great guitar find some old Les Paul and Mary Ford recordings.
Outstanding guitar work.

Pablo,

Mick Taylor played the guitar solo on "Sympathy for the Devil". I believe he quit the Stones shortly after the Get Your Ya YA's Out album was released, but he is widely regarded as by far the best guitarist to ever be a part of that group. He was replaced by Ron Woods. Keith Richards is good, but he can't hold a candle to Mick Taylor. Taylor should be on the top ten list.

Quote:

Jeff Beck? He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd sell my soul for his hands and a Stratocaster.

My favorites icons(in no particular order)

Clapton
Beck
Knopfler (late comer)
Page

I'd say, imo, after you filter through these 4 ..most of the fancy riffs are a rehash for the rest of time.

A buddy of mine who could play behind his head (or with his teeth - when that meant something to us) in high school said that Hendrix never did anything too difficult to duplicate. His infamy came from radical influence in innovation ..more or less the Beatles story (to a much smaller degree). I don't play Beatles tunes ..but they did inspire much that I enjoyed.

Quote:

Pablo,

Mick Taylor played the guitar solo on "Sympathy for the Devil". I believe he quit the Stones shortly after the Get Your Ya YA's Out album was released, but he is widely regarded as by far the best guitarist to ever be a part of that group. He was replaced by Ron Woods. Keith Richards is good, but he can't hold a candle to Mick Taylor. Taylor should be on the top ten list.

Exactly. Keith "I'm shriveled" Richards gets all the credit....

to the list,,, Lindsay Buchingham . See him live, He was playing ability is really heald back in Fleetwood Mack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back