Tool rust in humid garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tools that get surface rust even in my tool chest.

Kano labs has 2 products that look like they might be the ticket.

One is Weatherpruf

The other is Prevox

http://www.kanolabs.com/indSpec.html

Which one would you use on your wrenches, pliers sockets etc. Both are available in spray cans. $15. I'm leaning toward the Prevox.

Thanks

Last edited:
Might be easier / better to throw a couple sachets of desiccant in there.

Of the two you picked Prevox.

Desiccant sachets help. I wipe all my tools down with clean oil, once or twice a year. A very thin coat hardly noticeable which seems to work well.

I had mechanics tools and garden tools in a shed in my backyard in Virginia for years, and never got any rust. Is there any way you can get more air circulation in the garage? That's probably why I never got rust. There was plenty of ventilation.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I had mechanics tools and garden tools in a shed in my backyard in Virginia for years, and never got any rust. Is there any way you can get more air circulation in the garage? That's probably why I never got rust. There was plenty of ventilation.

I'm guilty of not wiping own my tools with oil like i should. My garage is also not insulated nor does it have a vapor barrier under the sheet rock( except on the wall connecting the home). I'm not sure all that matters, i could run a drum fan every now and then.

I just though if i need to use something on the tools, would one of those products be better than oil. More expensive yes.

I just spray it down with wd-40. Still look like new, unless I forget. I like wd-40 cause it doesn't have a strong aroma to it.

Ballistol on a rag.

The one coating is waxy - no good for stuff youll handle - will make a mess all over your hands.

The other one (Weatherpruf) doesnt indicate the applied consistency, but I dont think its necessary all the same.

Dessicant packets wont work because a humid garage is essentially unsealed and youll be removing humidity from the atmosphere - which is a losing proposition.

Ive just wiped tools with ballistol, including the chrome and black oxide tools I keep in my unconditioned, and marginally sealed detached garage, with zero issues. Plus, ballistol is non toxic for when the time comes that you need to actually handle your tools...

I use VCI paper in my tool box drawers, Comes with just about all crate engines & many other cast iron parts. Last 2-3 years before having to change the papers out.

WD-40 is about the worst anti corrosion film you could possibly use!!

I grew up in New England. Easy.

I now live in Alabama on the gulf coast, what a difference. Everything is wet every morning, rain or not, almost year round. The tools I use often are wiped down with a paper towel wet with PB Blaster. Cleans them and leaves a light film which will dry, and I like the smell. Buy a gallon w/sprayer from ZORO with a 25% discount code for $15.32. Impacts and tools that rust easily, I wipe down with chain oil. $7.00/gal at TSC. If they are too slippery for the next use, I hit them with a little brake cleaner. Works for me.

John

I keep almost all tools in the basement furnace room. The water heater is a heat pump which dehumidifies the air. We also have central air conditioning running from May thru early October. No corrosion issues. I always seem to be up/down the steps for tools, but only one level. Perhaps you may consider tool relocation.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Dessicant packets wont work because a humid garage is essentially unsealed and youll be removing humidity from the atmosphere - which is a losing proposition.

I hear ya bro but have hopes that inside a closed, sliding drawer in a tool cabinet the air exchange will be so little that the dessicant brings the RH down from 100% to 90% and provides a slight yet positive effect.

I'm going to try JHZR2's suggestion of Ballistrol. I've never used it before. If that does not do it, i like the VCI paper concept. Would i have to line the whole drawer with it? Or just put a piece in each drawer?

I used to panic when conditions were right to turn everything dripping wet in seconds after you opened the door. I have way too many pieces of steel, equipment, tools, cars, bikes, etc., to ever let that happen again. Now, if the humidity is high, I will keep the garage closed up, and just run the dehumidifier. Plus, when it is hot out, the shop is much cooler with just a fan. Plus, I try to keep it dry in the winter by not melting snow off in it, and keep the garage heated above freezing 24/7. Keeping it closed up keeps the bugs out too. That's what works for keeping things from rusting, and staying like new!

Last edited:
My tool chest is also near the a 32 inch side door. so i'm going to move it to the west side of the garage. The sun is on the west side of the garage most of the day.

Last edited:
I live in Houston, my garage had this issue until I added a powered vent system to it. That has done wonders for keeping it cooler and keeping the humidity down. Mine is an old, detached garage, which may make a difference.

Originally Posted by robertcope
I live in Houston, my garage had this issue until I added a powered vent system to it. That has done wonders for keeping it cooler and keeping the humidity down. Mine is an old, detached garage, which may make a difference.

Now thats a good idea, what about a temp/humidity sensing fan. I found this one thats programmable and is 240cfm. My garage is 400sf. It pulls air out of the garage.

What do you guys think of this? Where to mount? I assume high on the wall near the tool chest?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWQ1ZCQ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by robertcope

Now thats a good idea, what about a temp/humidity sensing fan. I found this one thats programmable and is 240cfm. My garage is 400sf. It pulls air out of the garage.

What do you guys think of this? Where to mount? I assume high on the wall near the tool chest?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWQ1ZCQ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It might help only if the humidity outside is lower than it is inside since is will be pulling it in. Ventilate it 2 directions, depending on the ambient humidity between inside/outside air. I use a humidity tester to check the difference in humidity. Then I know if it's a good idea to open the garage door up, or not. If you don't keep your garage sealed up, I don't think there is much you can do anyway you do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back