Too Much Wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been pleased with the finish on my Mazda. It might just be garbage paint....maybe I have auto-Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Where I see imperfections that aren't really there. I don't know.

Anyway, I probably have at least 10 coats of wax over the past 6 months. Mostly Mother's Carnuba Cake Wax and a few coats of Eagle One Nanowax. Buffed at lower speeds with nice clean pads.

It just doesn't shine like I want it to. It's glossy and smooth but not like I feel it should be.

I had a similar color on my Kawasaki and it looked absolutely wet with the Carnuba Cake Wax.

Did I accidently find a chemical nightmare mix of waxes that will not shine? Is there such a thing as too much wax? Or do I just have OCD with my car maintenance?

I'm pleased with the paint quality on my Mazda CX7. 10 coats of wax? I just use a polymer cleaner coating (NuFINISH). Fairly easy to use and lasts at least 9 months. I think you need to somehow, get rid of the excess stuff you have on the paint. Why not go to a detailing website and ask some experts.

Surface prep is 90% of the final finish. Try cleaning the paint with some mild cleaners such as Meguiar's SwirlX and then topping with your favorite wax, and maintain it with a mist and wipe product to enhance and extend the wax. No need for trying to put 10 coats on, it's impossible anyways, the Law of Diminishing returns kicks in after about 2 coats.

Check out Meguiarsonline.com also, tons of good info.

Have you used a polisher/buffing compound prior to waxing ? For example something like Menzerna IP? Polishing will bring back the shine. It will remove fine scratches. It is an art and overdone can cause issues as you actually are removing material by bufffing/polishing!

Really you should strip the car of wax with hand dishwashing liquid ie Sunlight, Palmolive etc. Then clay bar then buff. Even at that after buffing the paint will shine. Then the wax will protect and minutely add shine. Its the actual layer of clear coat that you want to make smooth aka shine and that is where the buffer comes in.
Check out http://www.autopia.org/forum/forum.php

I clay-barred it not too long ago. It's still really smooth.

I'm probably going to just wash it with a heavy solution of Dawn dishwashing detergent then apply one more coat of Meguiars NXT 2.0 or something. Then start to seek help for my auto finish OCD.

If your problem is too much wax or a poor combination of materials, just leave it alone.
It will remove itself over the next four to six months simply as a result of exposure to the sun and the weather.

Too much work,Hoss. I use Meguires Gold Class wash and Gold Class liquid wax. 2 coats,including the alloy wheels. Let it dry 20-30 minutes between coats. Nice gloss. If time is limited,pick a section,like the top,and wash/wax that section. Next time, wash/wax the hood and front fenders,etc.

Can't disagree with any of the above. The NXT is a decent sealant but doesn't have any polishing agents in it to remove light spider webbing. Nufinish does this and even better imo is Duragloss #111. Polish along with a durable sealant. For even more gloss and protection esp during maintenance washes spray and wipe car with Duragloss Aquawax. Its actually a spray sealant. I even love the DG shampoo since it dries in sheets. Goodbye hard water spots.

www.duragloss.com Shipping is a flat $5. You can save shipping if you can hunt it down in some stores but this can be a hassle.

Hey all. I'm the new guy.

What color is your car?

Try this:
Claybar -> PaintCleaner (like SwirlX or Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner)
Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7 -> NXT 2.0 wax.

I like to add a coat of Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26 on top of it and then re-add it every month.

When layering wax you have to ask if the wax has a cleaner in it because if it does it will remove the layer of wax underneath when you apply. Like Mothers Carnauba Wax has some mild cleaners in it so when you apply it, it removes the other wax you just added. Hi-Tech wax has no cleaners so when you add it nothing is removed.

Read this thread:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42782

Read the response of Michael Stoops

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back