Too much oil in my engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I overfilled 1 qt when I was young. 1989 4.3 v6 1500 pickup. Was fine till I was inclined going up a hill. Power went down rapidly. Started to stall. I made it to the top and pulled over to check the engine. Oil was over by 1 qt and and full of bubbles. It survived. But for that engine an extra qt was death.

Get it out before the next hill.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
roofie
Rule of thumb is sometimes the owners manual doesn't give you the correct information.

Can you imagine the dealership telling you that?

New cars have oil life monitors which activate a message to change your oil - 7,500 - 10,000 miles. Service department at dealership insist that the owners manual is wrong, and that you need an oil change every 5,000 miles or 6 months. The service advisor insist that the owners manual is wrong.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by QwikKota
I would not trust the dipstick.

You wouldn't be wrong. OP, double check your dipstick and make sure yours wasn't affected by this TSB.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0901015.pdf

Thanks for the tip.

Ye, the TSB says I need the part 53034186AD and I checked and I have the 53034186AC.

Not seems the right one nor the wrong one… I checked on many parts websites and some says AB/AC/AD are same. What's difference?

Originally Posted by Hitman70
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by QwikKota
I would not trust the dipstick.

You wouldn't be wrong. OP, double check your dipstick and make sure yours wasn't affected by this TSB.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0901015.pdf

Thanks for the tip.

Ye, the TSB says I need the part 53034186AD and I checked and I have the 53034186AC.

Not seems the right one nor the wrong one… I checked on many parts websites and some says AB/AC/AD are same. What's difference?

Just the length. AB and AC read a quart low when there is the proper 7qts in the sump. They're the "same", but AD is the one you want... just remember it reads a quart low otherwise if you don't get the revised one.

Last edited:
Hi,

So I finally bought a vacuum pump for remove the oil excess...

After 2h pumping I did get really tired. I did my physical activity of the day lol...

So after 2h and a lot of efforts I could remove... 0,8 quart, so almost a quart.

I couldn't get much out, was really tired, my pump is probably a bad one...

Nvm, before was like this :

[Linked Image]

Now is like this, with cold engine, so a little bit more than max :

[Linked Image]

And if I check as stated in owners manual, with warm engine, 5 minutes after turning it off, I'm between min and max.

I guess it's OK now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back