TitleMax car loan with a 167% interest rate, on a 2006 Dodge Charger.

Should it be up to politicians to protect adults from themselves?

I for one don't want some self-serving politician deciding what choices I can or can't make for myself. Otherwise we have the realization of George Orwells "1984"...
While I agree with you in principle, the real world doesn't work that way unfortunately. When someone makes a really stupid decision it often affects others in negative ways - sometimes really bad ways. Someone will have to pick up the slack/tab for major blunders in life, and that's mostly us - the tax payers, imo. As much as I hate to say it, the gov't does often have to protect people from themselves. More than ever it seems.

A couple of things.

No 1: The labor cost to process a loan of $1,200 is no less than a $20,000 loan.
No 2: Customers have very thin or no credit history so these businesses are typically the "lender of last resort".

Wish more states had usury laws.
Most states have usury laws. In Texas it is 10%, except...
"How are interest rates of 200% to over 500% legal in Texas?
Usury protections in the Texas Constitution prohibit lenders from charging more than 10% interest unless the Texas Legislature specifically authorizes a higher rate. The rates in the Texas market should not be legal, but payday and auto title businesses have found a way around the constitutional usury protections by exploiting a legal loophole:
1. They register as Credit Services Organizations and may be licensed as a Credit Access Business (CAB) under the Credit Services Organizations (CSO) Act.
2. They broker loans between the borrower and a third-party lender and charge borrowers high fees for arranging and guaranteeing these loans.
3. The third-party lender charges interest at or below 10% to avoid licensing under Texas law. CSO or CAB fees are completely unregulated and result in APRs over 500%."
I have to assume that these companies are exploiting loopholes like these in other states. They just don't do business in the states that don't allow these shenanigans.

While I agree with you in principle, the real world doesn't work that way unfortunately. When someone makes a really stupid decision it often affects others in negative ways - sometimes really bad ways. Someone will have to pick up the slack/tab for major blunders in life, and that's mostly us - the tax payers, imo. As much as I hate to say it, the gov't does often have to protect people from themselves. More than ever it seems.
There is a much, much bigger problem with excessive spending than picking up some personal bankruptcies by the taxpayer, which is probably not that often. Banks usually have to take that hit, not the taxpayer.

It’s so easy to distract people from the big picture, it’s scary.

If a person is going through withdrawals they will sign anything to get the money they need for their next heroin fix.

There is a much, much bigger problem with excessive spending than picking up some personal bankruptcies by the taxpayer, which is probably not that often. Banks usually have to take that hit, not the taxpayer.

It’s so easy to distract people from the big picture, it’s scary.
Yeah but I'm not talking about just protecting people from their financial screw-ups, I mean protecting people from a wide variety of self destructive behaviors ie people with no medical insurance, people that live recklessly etc. Think about all the things a person is entitled to in this country if they have nothing, and now times that by millions. Someone will be on hook for helping everyone who is destitute because mistakes they made. But I agree absorbing bankruptcies because of things like title loan advances are just a small part of it, relatively speaking.

Yeah but I'm not talking about just protecting people from their financial screw-ups, I mean protecting people from a wide variety of self destructive behaviors ie people with no medical insurance, people that live recklessly etc. Think about all the things a person is entitled to in this country if they have nothing, and now times that by millions. Someone will be on hook for helping everyone who is destitute because mistakes they made. But I agree absorbing bankruptcies because of things like title loan advances are just a small part of it, relatively speaking.
When you think “protect”, I think control that will apply universally to everyone. We do not need more laws, all we need is to say no to socializing the losses and privatizing the profits. The issue would simply vanish overnight if there were no more bailouts to the corporations.

Remember, behind every irresponsible borrower there is an even more irresponsible lender.

The person who writes this type of loan knows he/she is a despicable person, a predator offering nothing of worth to society. There are lots of people who sign papers without understanding what they are doing, and that is a shame, but it does not take away from the downright knowing evil of these loan writers, who know exactly what they are up to. Just to understand how low these folks are, this is how it works: Well below all of us are street thugs in the cities engaged in petty crime. Far below those people is Stormy Daniels. Below her are the people who call me daily offering $147 money a month for groceries if I work with them on getting my Medicare (don't have Medicare) signed up with them. Far below those people are the folks writing outrageous loans on clapped out crapcans like this. BTW, they are equivalent to the fake postage stamp vendors.
S Daniels is below loan shark. Glad my values are above yours. Single mother raising a daughter with no other skills except knowing how to make the defense lost and confuse.

PA has just mandated a "life business" type course be taught in high school. An excellent idea!!
Wow cool! Hopefully they can teach that wardrobe often shows respect for a position or office.... like wearing a hoodie at all times is inappropriate

This is exact car I LOL out as “muscle car”. Embarrassing 2.7 v6 ..,,

Have to drive far to find the nearest title loan business.

Back