Tires recommendations - 2006 RX330

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Lexus RX330
235/55 R18 (99V)
This is for the wife, looking to get her new tires.
This SUV, weekly a trip or two to a store, appointment, post office etc.
I went to DT today and they are closed Sunday's
eek.gif
so now looking on line for options. Low miles per year in town use. Concern- rain, noise/comfort/handling/braking etc.
With low annual miles, tires will age before worn out.
Not looking for anything fancy, just something near soccer mom level. I may take it a trip within state maybe once a year, plus a time or two just to get it out highway speed since she doesn't.
I'm not a tire kind of guy so any inputs appreciated.
DT... some options I looked at:
$ea~price (with certificates)/ Mile Rated / TW-(Tread Wear) / Tire
$119~$690 / 50k / TW-440 / Cooper CS3 Touring
$145~817 / 60k / TW-740 / Yokohama YK 740 GTX
$155~866 / 65k / TW-620 / Michelin Latitude Tour
$165~915 / 70k / TW-700 / Perelli Cinturato Strada AS
$170~940 / 65k / TW-740 / Perelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus

From there prices go up, so I don't know if it's worth her driving type.

Side note - I seen DT has a tire called Laufenn S FIT AS (no I'm not interested). Think earlier I saw online someone mentioned a new Hankook tire.

Thanks again for any inputs - I'm hoping by end of this week into next week getting her new tires before rains set in (unless California goes dry winter again).

Since your wife will drive low miles and I assume a part of California that doesn't see much snow, I would go Coopers. I have had the Michelins on our Venza - nice tire but wears fast and the Michelins may dry rot early in a warm California climate - so why spend more.

What I don't understand is Discount Tire's website. They only show what's in stock.

Go into the store, they have a lot more choices that they can order. For good prices too. Discount Tire doesn't show the General Altimax RT43s on their website for my area. I went into the store, told them what tires I wanted and he had a list of a ton of tires that aren't even on their website. He ordered them and they were there in less than a week.

I'm a Cooper fan and run their tires on some of my cars, but I'm not sure that the cs3 is a good match.

Just because the size matches doesn't mean it's a good match for a vehicle of that size and weight. Does speed and weight rating match the vehicle spec?

I'm thinking latitude or scorpion personally, but don't know enough about the yokos or higher market coppers in that size.

Quote:
What I don't understand is Discount Tire's website. They only show what's in stock. ...

Why I always go to Discount Tire Direct website to see what tire choices are available company wide. That and generally speaking get the no tax price (here) which I can get price matched at local DT store. I know DT can get most any tire and price match but with tire DTD listings if not in stock at local DT, they can get them rather quickly, 2-3 business days ime.

Really don't have a specific tire suggestion from the choices. I would say don't limit yourself to the local DT b&m in stock listings. Go to Discount Tire Direct site and look at all the choices, rebates and total prices with and without certs. With that information in hand, go to local store for the price match.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
What I don't understand is Discount Tire's website. They only show what's in stock. ...

Why I always go to Discount Tire Direct website to see what tire choices are available company wide. That and generally speaking get the no tax price (here) which I can get price matched at local DT store. I know DT can get most any tire and price match but with tire DTD listings if not in stock at local DT, they can get them rather quickly, 2-3 business days ime.

Really don't have a specific tire suggestion from the choices. I would say don't limit yourself to the local DT b&m in stock listings. Go to Discount Tire Direct site and look at all the choices, rebates and total prices with and without certs. With that information in hand, go to local store for the price match.
Prices aren't always accurate on DTD though.

I searched for 245/75-16 tires for my brother's truck and the Pirelli Scorpian ATR is what he wants is $119 each on DT website and $158 each on DTD website.

Where in CA are you?

The RXs are heavy and tires rarely last more than 45k regardless of what you install. If you are not picky, I would go with the YK740 when a $60 rebate is available.

Quote:
Prices aren't always accurate on DTD though.

I searched for 245/75-16 tires for my brother's truck and the Pirelli Scorpian ATR is what he wants is $119 each on DT website and $158 each on DTD website.

Then that's one price match I wouldn't use, obviously there the DT price is better. But the most important point addressed is the greater DTD listings and ime that anecdote is an exception rather than the rule. In addition to greater DTD selection, for me the DTD no tax price has been less than the DT listing. I'd also compare the DTD listing with Tire Rack and others just to confirm the lower/lowest price and accuracy.

I went to DTD and checked out the OP's specific size and there are many more tire choices available.

I am loving the Pirelli Centuratos that were just installed on my Accord, they are noticeably more smooth and quiet than the stock Michelins (a $200 tire). I say if comfort is high on your priority list go with Pirelli. Avoid the Michelins IMO, they are not smooth riding and tend to crack.

The mileage rating is more important than the treadwear rating, as the TWR cannot be compared across different manufacturers.

On DTD you can get the CS5 Ultra for $120 each. Plus, The CS5 rebate is $70 (only $50 for the CS3)

There's also the Nitto NT421Q with a 75k rating. $139 on DTD

DT installs DTD tires for $16 each.

Quote:
..DT installs DTD tires for $16 each....

True. However the OP's best bet if he finds the tire at DTD is to have his local DT/AT b&m store match the DTD tire price, order the tires and complete the whole transaction through DT/AT. Other than the price match, no need to get DTD involved separately. DT/AT will get the tires in quickly. The receipt, warranty etc. will be completely DT/AT. Done it that way a few times myself.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The mileage rating is more important than the treadwear rating, as the TWR cannot be compared across different manufacturers. ........

Ah ...... Mmmmmmmm ...... Not exactly.

First, I'm not sure what you mean by *mileage rating*, but you might be confusing it with the mileage warranty.

Second, the treadwear rating is more properly called the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) treadwear rating, which is a US government requirement that is based off a standardized test.

This test is conducted in Texas on a perscribed route against a control tire - the SRTT (Standard Reference Test Tire) - and while there is a lot of variability in the test results, the control tire allows us to compare results between tests - and yes, between manufacturers.

So if you compare Brand X with a 200 treadwear rating to Brand Y with a 400 rating, the mileage you will get for Brand Y will be about twice what you will get with Brand X. Yes, the difference between 240 and 260 is not enough for the average person to perceive - and different road surfaces will give different results - but on the whole, those difference are comparable.

looking at TireRack, some others to consider such as:
Continental PureContact(%163.66)
General Altimax RT43 ($122.45)
Kumho Solus TA71 ($118.45)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back