Tires Pricing Error !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the local tire stores has a somewhat unusual pricing for the not so popular brand.

The prices of 17" 50 series are pretty much normal, price increases as size increases:
205/50-17 - $72
215/50-17 - $89
225/50-17 - $96
235/50-17 - $119

The price of 17" 45 series are pretty much unsual, prices do not match with sizes:
215/45-17 - $99
225/45-17 - $88
235/45-17 - $96
245/45-17 - $67

The most expensive is the smallest size and the least expensive is the largest size.

I want/need 245/45-17, should I point these unusual pricing to them ? Or should I just buy and pay for it without saying anything ?

Typically prices are driven by supply and demand more than anything else. Just buy what you need and be happy.

After just having spent $900 on winter tires for the wife's truck, these prices you posted seem like a dream.
smile.gif

Check the speed rating and country of origin of each tire. You will find the difference there. Maybe that $67 tire is Chinese and with a speed rating of H.

Also check the manufacturer date code. Tires that are 6 or more years old should not be used, and any new tire you purchase should have a date code that allows the tire to be less than six years old when you are done using it.

What tire is it?

There have also been some fake tires coming in from China as well. CR tested a tire and when it got a bad review the tire maker stepped in to see why it was rated so poorly. Found out it was a fake. The plant they use to be made at was destroyed but some molds were stolen.

Well that's what happens when you try and make a product in Asia. You think they would learn as the same thing happened with TVs in the early days.

The brand is kind of lower end, this model is exclusive to a very well respected tire retail company here on BITOG. I don't think they sell anything older than 2-3 years old, I don't know country of origin, but the brand is absolutely not Chinese brand.

Can you guys guess what tire brand is this and which tire company is selling it ?

I had this tire brand on my S2000 before, overall performance/handling was very good on dry road and good on wet surface, ride is okay because the S2000 engine is noisy at any speed, so it masks the wind and tire noise.

If I buy this brand/model for the S2000 rear, I might pay less than $100 for 2 after tax and mounting, because the current Kumho 4X lasted only 10-10.5k miles and I should have about $100 credit for it.

price has nothing to do with size.

It's like clothing or shoes. You don't pay more or less because you got more fabric or shoe material.

Sometimes your fat guy XXL shirt is on the discount rack cause nobody wants it. Sometimes your size 18 shoe is $200 because it's special order.

Last edited:
Tire size has nothing to do with price ? Cloth, shoes ... may be different, but tire size and price usually go hand in hand, except close out price for some unpopular sizes.

Tirerack pricing for Continental DWS:

215/45-17 - $122
225/45-17 - $135
235/45-17 - $138
245/45-17 - $147

If you look at other brands and/or other models and/or other size within an aspect ratio (16" or 18" or 19" ...) you will see similar price structure.

I also want to reiterate that price and tire size don't always go hand in hand.

1) Sometimes a tire manufacturer will set the price based on their actual costs - and odd sizes cost more to produce.

2) Sometimes there is an over abundance of some sizes and in order to clear out the inventory on a timely basis, the prices of overstock will be reduced.

3) Speed ratings can affect the cost of tires that appear to be otherwise the same.

4) And lastly, there is the price increase that doesn't always come along evenly. Some older stock is priced one way, while the newer stock reflects that change.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
$67 for speed rate W 245/45-17 can't be beat. Even some Chinese/Taiwanese tires are more than that.

So, can I assume that you are buying?
laugh.gif

I have seen this tire on other sites and they're $140/ea

Yes, I will buy it but I need to wear down the current Kumho 4X to around 2/32" to have some prorate. Currently it has slightly above 3/32" remaining, probably another 500-1000 miles.

I need to wear down the current Kumho 4X to around 2/32" to have some prorate. Currently it has slightly above 3/32" remaining, probably another 500-1000 miles.

That rate of wear (1/32 is about 10%) makes the Kumho's a 5,000 - 10,000 mile tire.

I presume you're going to race or burn rubber some other way?

Yes,
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Is DT going to allow a Kumho prorating against the Falkens?

Yes, DT/AT will prorate any brand I bought from them apply to any brand I like. I'd done it before, had prorate on Conti DWS and bought Kumho 4X.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
I need to wear down the current Kumho 4X to around 2/32" to have some prorate. Currently it has slightly above 3/32" remaining, probably another 500-1000 miles.

That rate of wear (1/32 is about 10%) makes the Kumho's a 5,000 - 10,000 mile tire.

I presume you're going to race or burn rubber some other way?

Honda S2000 burnt rear tire at very high rate, so far no rear tire lasted more than 13-14k miles, 1/32" will be gone in about 1k miles with mostly highway driving. On surface streets 1/32" will be gone in about 500-600 miles or less if I drop the clutch at 4k RPM at green light.

Yeah I've got the same problem on one of my vehicles. Got 13k miles out of Hankook V12 on the rear. Front's now have 20k miles and are at 5/32.

Wish I could find replacements for $67 instead of $150+!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back