Tire's Price Difference between DT and DTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking the price of different tires on DTD and DT, I think they are owned by the same parent company. The price difference can be as much as 30% even after take into account the local sale tax(7.75% for Orange County, CA) on Discount Tire price.

The sale tax of 7.75% is included in the price of DT/AT.

DTD---DT/AT--Brand/Model
$114--$88----Kumho Ecsta AST
$129--$108---Kumho Ecsta 4X

Not talking about up to $125 combined rebate from DT/AT and Kumho, the form is available on AT/DT website and not on DTD website.

The net cost of 4 Kumho Ecsta 4X, tax and rebate included, is $306 from AT/DT and $516 from DTD. The cost from DTD is a whopping 68% more than AT/DT, assume that no rebate for buying from DTD.

Lesson: Compare price from different websites, you may get much lower price from the lowest price site, even from two sites of the same company, one is online only and one is B&M.

Last edited:
I was just looking at Pirelli P4 tires for my dad's Prius. They cost $1 less on DTD shipped than the walk-in price at the DT/AT stores in his area.

DTPirelli.jpg

DTDPirelli.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rand
they will pricematch themselves usually

Correct, including any rebates or promos. If you have a DT credit card (I do), they're usually more willing to do that sort of thing.

I view DT web price similar to the sticker price on a car, simply a reference point, don't think I've ever paid the DT advertised price. I've price matched the DTD no tax price at DT several times and had the price matched/beaten, once even using the DTD price and a Wally install quote.

Then purchase the tire with the DT Care One Card, get at least 6 months no interest and the oft offered $30 rebate. Lesson, shop around including online, get your best price, many times no tax DTD, and go to the DT store last for the final price match.

Makes one wonder though, how much longer will the DTD online no tax price exist.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Makes one wonder though, how much longer will the DTD online no tax price exist.

With a lot of states now requiring sales tax on out-of-town purchases, who knows.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Rand
they will pricematch themselves usually

Correct, including any rebates or promos. If you have a DT credit card (I do), they're usually more willing to do that sort of thing.

From my experience, they will only pricematch DTD if you agree to pay $20/tire for installation.

I just went through all this myself over @ this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2782632&page=1
cliffs notes version:
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons 185/60-15 '05 Dodge Neon
Discount Tire:
Fort Worth,TX: $77ea (was there on vacation, tires wouldn't be in stock untill 2 days after i left)
Fort Wayne,IN: $103ea (Closest to where i live, still an hour away, but could be on my way home, Similar in stock date)
Columbus,OH: $94ea (100 mi/2hrs away, but preferred location since i have more reasons to go to there. similar in stock date)
Dayton,OH: $94ea (90 min or so away)
Discount Tire Direct:
$92ea. free shipping. back order
Tire Rack:
$84ea, plus $42 Shipping(for the set of 4), back order

wait 2 weeks, notice the tires currently on the car are so cracked i'm suprised they made it the 1100 mi back from Texas, decide it's definitely time to replace.

Saw lots of commercials for a big tire event @ "your Local Ford Dealer" Email mine, with the tires & Size i want.
Raabe Ford: $92 Each. (Special order size will take them 15 days to get in.)

Recheck the above websites, prices still the same, but now are in stock. (w/2day shipping)

end up ordering from tire rack, shipped directly to ford dealer (ordered weds night, shipped thursday aft. delivered friday afternoon)
they can't get me in until the following thursday, mounted @ balanced for $12.50/tire ($54 after tax)
paid Tire Rack $376 shipped,
So $430 installed.

Last edited:
Bridgestone and Goodyear have started showing MSRP prices on their company websites. I wonder why?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I view DT web price similar to the sticker price on a car, simply a reference point, don't think I've ever paid the DT advertised price. I've price matched the DTD no tax price at DT several times and had the price matched/beaten, once even using the DTD price and a Wally install quote.

Then purchase the tire with the DT Care One Card, get at least 6 months no interest and the oft offered $30 rebate. Lesson, shop around including online, get your best price, many times no tax DTD, and go to the DT store last for the final price match.

It was very true until now, AT/DT web price is usually higher than anywhere else. Just as recent as 3-4 months ago I had AT price match Yokohama AVID Touring-S with onlinetires.com (lowest price I could find at that time).

What's surprise here is AT/DT price for some brand/model/size today are lower than anywhere else, after taking into account the shipping cost(if any) and sale tax for buying locally.

PS Just found out that there is some pricing error on AT/DT website for Kumho Ecsta 4X:

215/45-17---$111.00
225/45-17---$125.00
235/45-17---$100.00
245/45-17---$130.00

The price of 235/45-17 should be between 225/45-17 and 245/45-17 or about $127-128.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
The only question now would be what does DT and DTD even stand for?

DTD = Discount Tire Direct
DT = Discount Tires

DT stands for Discount Tire(also part of AT=Americas Tire), which is an actual tire center where you can take your vehicle. They also have their own web site in which you can purchace the tires that you want and make appointmemts and they'll be waiting for you so that you can have them installed right there.

DTD is Discount Tire Direct. Which is a website ONLY and uses distribution centers(3 or 4) that they have in the U.S. DTD almost always offers FREE Shipping in the U.S. mainland(not Alaska/Hawaii and IDK ~ Canada). But, I have seen where there was a shipping cost and I have paid a shipping cost but, the price was still the best.

Somehow they(DT/AT & DTD) are all conncected with one another and their web pages even look similar. I can't answer if they all use the same distribution center for all of their tires or what the total differences are.

In my area, we don't have any DT/AT tire centers so, I purchace from DTD(or TR) and have W*M install the tires. We do have the typical chain centers such as SEARS, Firestone, Good/Year and some locals such as KOST and DUNN.

But, we in our circle(family/friends) have found that buying online and having W*M install the tires, suits our needs nicely. We have been very happy doing it this way for over 10 years now
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

But, we in our circle(family/friends) have found that buying online and having W*M install the tires, suits our needs nicely. We have been very happy doing it this way for over 10 years now
smile.gif

I'd done that for some years.

But I found out that for warranty claims it's a hassle.

Since we have AT stores locally and they do price match, there is no reason to buy online and have it installed at WM. Yes, WM charges few dollars less for installation and balance, but I think $10-15 extra for 4 tires is not worth the hassle if I need warranty work(tread life warranty for example).

Back to the topic, DT has some lower price tires mainly because the pricing error on their site. About 2 years ago when I bought 4 Hankook H727 for Mercury Tracer, DT had the lowest price for few days then they adjusted the price up about 20%.

Warrenty issues isan area that I have had very bad experiences localy, where the tire center just wouldn't honor my warranty. This is when I decided to take my tire buying business to the web. And now I am buying better tires for the same or less money than, for example, private label tires.

I too have noticed the prices moving around on some of the tires that I keep an eye on. So, I'm not sure that this is rare. But, IDK!

Last edited:
I see mentioned here that a purchase at DTD and a Wally install works well for some. That said, after having DT install services including those I wrote about here I wouldn't choose a Wally install over a DT install and their associated services. Frankly I've never experienced better service after the sale with any purchase I've made. DT is just the most professional tire operation I've been able to find. I suppose if there is no DT/AT b&m store nearby a DTD purchase with Wally install would be a good second option.

As for the DTD price match, I've not had to pay the $20 install per tire as was previously mentioned. Still wouldn't be such a bad deal imo. Now perhaps DT/AT has recently shown some lower prices than DTD for some select tires, but in my eperience including DTD no tax price they are generally lower and also have tires like the Avid Touring S which was not found on the DT website on my last purchase.

Bottom line in my experience, if one does their price research prior to going to a DT/AT b&m store, DT/AT will do what it takes to make the sale. Been more than one thread starter here confirming that observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back