Tires for 2011 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an America's Tire/Discount Tire near by? They match on line prices including freight plus tax and mount-balance-disposal. Check the lesser known on line vendors such as onlinetires.com. They list a GY Assurance ComfortTred 215/60-16 94V for $104, plus freight, less $80 rebate. There are other on line sellers that might be less, and you might choose a different tire.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Why not Yokohama Avid Touring? They're fantastic tires for the money.

The Avid Ascends have pretty atrocious wet traction, per the latest Tire Rack test.

My apologies, I made an assumption on availability, no I wouldn't get the Ascends. After looking, I'd outfit the car with the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS which would tend to match my driving style more.

My brother has an '08 Accord Coupe and he gets 60k miles out of his Michelin Primacys and they are great until they hit the wear bars. He is a somewhat aggressive driver too. They are great tires for the Accord but are expensive. He is almost ready to purchase his 2nd set of 4 at 120k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Critic, if you can get the MXV4s in H-rating out the door for under $600, that's what I'd do.

Thanks, that is what I am leaning towards as well. Costco runs the $70 off coupon about every 10 weeks. I just priced out the Primacy MXV4 on their site; with tax and standard installation (which includes road hazard), it comes out to $589.

I was originally against the idea of the H-rated Primacy MXV4 since it was an OE fitment for Nissan, but after seeing that Consumer Reports tested this exact size and the test results were phenomenal, I am comfortable with buying the Primacy MXV4 in this size.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Is there an America's Tire/Discount Tire near by? They match on line prices including freight plus tax and mount-balance-disposal. Check the lesser known on line vendors such as onlinetires.com. They list a GY Assurance ComfortTred 215/60-16 94V for $104, plus freight, less $80 rebate. There are other on line sellers that might be less, and you might choose a different tire.

Those are actually the predecessor to the current ComforTred Tourings, but that will probably my second choice. Sears has a tendency to run periodic fire sales on GY tires, so I would not hesitate to recommend a set of GY ComfortTred Tourings if you can get them for under $500 installed.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does it use 215/60-16? Howcome when I had a car that used that size, it was extremely rare? Now ... every car uses it.

It does. I think this size became more popular ever since the last-gen Altima 4-cyls started using this size.

You can buy the same Dunlop model as the OEM tires quite cheaply, if that's a consideration.
They seem okay on my '12 Accord, although the car's only been driven a little over 9K from new.
The MXV4 would be a good pick.
We have a set on the '99 Accord and they've been good tires overall.
We have a set of Pure Contacts on the Forester and they seem pretty good overall as well.
Incidentally, the Michelin Defender does have a cap ply, according to Michelin.

Update - the car has about 51k on it now.

The two back tires had around 4/32" left, the LF was had around 75% remaining and the RF tire was flat.

At first, I thought about getting 1 tire for now, moving the two rear tires to the front, and returning in six months. But with the $70 off a set of 4, you may as well purchase 4 tires.

For convenience and service-related reasons, even though it was a squeeze, I convinced her to get a new set of 4 tires at this time. We went to Costco today and left with a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires in the 215/60-16 95V size.

The cost was $137/tire. The installation package, which includes five-years of pro-rated road hazard, free flat repairs and lifetime rotations/balancing, was an additional $15/tire. And unlike Discount Tire, TPMS rebuild kits were available but were not a mandatory item.

One of the main reasons for choosing the Serenity Plus over the Primacy MXV4 was the very positive feedback from a number of sources -- TireRack.com testing, About.com testing, Consumer Reports test results and real-world driver feedback.

Altogether, it was $590 OTD. Costco's service and technician training appeared to be much better than DT/America's Tire. The technicians took their time to do the job properly, were not in a rush and the staff were actually knowledgeable about the products they sold. The tire shop manager even wrote down the DOT number on each tire for tracking purposes -- in case of a product recall.

I would highly recommend Costco to anyone who is looking for a convenient and professional tire dealer that follows ALL of the proper industry guidelines.

Last edited:
those are very good tires...
with a goofy name
smile.gif

but who cares about the name.

I just goes to show you how different tires can be..
those are top tier

and the turdenza el-400 oem tires are beyond horrible.

I find that Bridgestone makes some fantastic tires, among the very best you can get, if you stick to their signature/upper series'. The stuff they supply the auto mfrs. as OE tends to be quite poor in comparison.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Critic, if you can get the MXV4s in H-rating out the door for under $600, that's what I'd do.

Thanks, that is what I am leaning towards as well. Costco runs the $70 off coupon about every 10 weeks. I just priced out the Primacy MXV4 on their site; with tax and standard installation (which includes road hazard), it comes out to $589.

I was originally against the idea of the H-rated Primacy MXV4 since it was an OE fitment for Nissan, but after seeing that Consumer Reports tested this exact size and the test results were phenomenal, I am comfortable with buying the Primacy MXV4 in this size.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

Those are actually the predecessor to the current ComforTred Tourings, but that will probably my second choice. Sears has a tendency to run periodic fire sales on GY tires, so I would not hesitate to recommend a set of GY ComfortTred Tourings if you can get them for under $500 installed.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does it use 215/60-16? Howcome when I had a car that used that size, it was extremely rare? Now ... every car uses it.

It does. I think this size became more popular ever since the last-gen Altima 4-cyls started using this size.

When I had to buy them for my Taurus they were very expensive, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back