Tire Time

One of my vehicles needs new tires but I am going to sell/trade it in about six months. I still drive it frequently and in a perfect world I'd rely on my instincts and buy another set of Altimax RT43 which are (in my opinion) the best value in tires today. I quit buying from TR and have better options at Discount Tire.

size; 235/45/18

Nankang NS-25 a/s for $69 each (price match)
OHTSU FPO612 a/s for $99 each

Nankang is Taiwanese brand
OHTSU is a Japanese, Sumitomo/Falken captive

Anybody have experience with either brand?

Where do you live? If it’s a mild climate and you are selling just go straight to the cheapest.

I had the Nankang NS-25 on my 911 of all things for daily duty.

It was a fine tire. Noticable sidewall flex and a bit greasy at the limit were my only two complaints.

What's the cost difference to go RT43? Playing devil's advocate here--what if life goes sideways--and you don't trade in 6 months? Or you trade but it's actually 12 months from now. Would you be happy with your cheapo tire choice?

Yeah it'd be money down the drain if you traded 3 months from now. I get that, everything is a gamble. If I knew I was trading in 2 month's time I'd go cheapo too.

Actually, speaking of which, winter is in 3 months, not 6. How much "weather" will this tire have to deal with?

I put Nankang SP-9 (50,000 mi) on my daughters Ford Escape. Almost 5,000 miles in Tremendous tire especially for the price. Great ride, quiet, handles well with no noticeable sidewall roll over...good stability. No rain yet..will not get any snow use. So far I would buy more. Replaced Michelin Latitude Tour HP (55,000 mi..actuallly got close to 40,000 mi on OEM version) Not sure about the other tires in the line but IMO this tire is the "sleeper" winner of the year. BTW Nankang has been in business for over 50 years..

Last edited:
What's the cost difference to go RT43? Playing devil's advocate here--what if life goes sideways--and you don't trade in 6 months? Or you trade but it's actually 12 months from now. Would you be happy with your cheapo tire choice?

Yeah it'd be money down the drain if you traded 3 months from now. I get that, everything is a gamble. If I knew I was trading in 2 month's time I'd go cheapo too.

Actually, speaking of which, winter is in 3 months, not 6. How much "weather" will this tire have to deal with?
Wx here in eastern NC normally is just a dusting of snow in february. The vehicle is AWD. I think I'll take a chance and buy the Nankangs. Tks guys!

I’d check Craigslist & local fleabay too. I recently sold some Pirelli tires at near 1/2 price. These tires had less than 10k miles, sister totaled car while winter tires were mounted. Yes you have to sift through the chaff, but may be able to go up in quality.

One of my vehicles needs new tires but I am going to sell/trade it in about six months. I still drive it frequently and in a perfect world I'd rely on my instincts and buy another set of Altimax RT43 which are (in my opinion) the best value in tires today. I quit buying from TR and have better options at Discount Tire.

size; 235/45/18

I've had the OHTSU when they were Falken Ziex Ze912. In the short time you'll have them, it would be fine. Good cornering grip, relatively quiet, smooth enough ride. They do get loud after halfway worn, but again, in the short time you would have them, you won't get to that point.

I wouldn't use them in the snow though. Not enough siping for my tastes.

size; 235/45/18

Have OHTSU Tires on sons truck. Nice aggressive AT type tread.

Back