Tire rubber shortage is the auto industry's next potential problem....

Honestly, I'm not particuarly worried about tires for my (four wheeled) vehicles right now. Of course, this is just another perfect excuse to send tire prices higher, regardless if it is happening or not.

However, I am concerned enough about the supply of motorcycle tires to consider buying a set soon. My experience is that it doesn't seem like it takes too much to disrupt the motorcycle tire supply chain, and create shortages with the major vendors such as Dennis Kirk and Rocky Mountain.

Add this to all the other problems in the bicycles parts supply chain, and I could be in real trouble. I don't have a bike tire stash. I only have about 150 miles on the tires on my good bike, but one peice of glass or a rusted out piece of heat shield on the shoulder of the road could really shorten my bike season!

Rampant STDs is already a lifestyle thing in the USA.

Did another semiconductor plant burn down? What is that 3, 4 now?

So yes, doesn't take much to disrupt a supply chain.

And, nothing worse than emptying the warehouses prepping for that disruption and cause another disruption.

You either live in fear and prep, or you keep your head up your arse. Either way, were all going to ...

Just got new tires today.
Great deal at walmart.com Cooper A/T 265/70R17 $102.
These are the same as the old AT3's

I was able to get some bike tires for my Shadow, however most places were a 3 to 4 week wait. The tires i got from the only place in stock that had them locally were made at the tail end of 2018 so they will likely need to be replaced by 24. I did find out that Sumitomo is planning to expand production capacity and put in new machinery at Tonawanda so here is hoping that will alleviate some production issues since they seem to make SUV, Truck and Bus, Passenger car and Motorcycle tires at that plant.

Glad I just bought new tires for my work truck and my tires on my car should have a few years left. Plus they're 15" so i can buy used for cheap if I get a puncture, not enough people need 15" in my size for a shortage to affect it.

A replacement set of tires on my mum's car went up on price by double from just 6 months ago. Is it production? Material shortage? Pandemic economy? Hard to say which of any or all were a factor.

Same with electronic parts. Try repairing or building a PC. Exponential upwards drive for processors, memory and video cards. I hear that the domestic big three car makers are either slowing or halting entirely, new vehicle builds. No semiconductor makers are producing...

A replacement set of tires on my mum's car went up on price by double from just 6 months ago. Is it production? Material shortage? Pandemic economy? Hard to say which of any or all were a factor.

Same with electronic parts. Try repairing or building a PC. Exponential upwards drive for processors, memory and video cards. I hear that the domestic big three car makers are either slowing or halting entirely, new vehicle builds. No semiconductor makers are producing...

I've heard the same, if you order a vehicle right now, you may not get it for six months to a year.

Rubber shortages are nothing new. Here is an article from 2010:

I remember that shortage ten years ago. They said that more rubber trees would be planted to meet the demand. I never heard any followup since then.

Back