Tire Repair Kit

My wifes Audi Q7 did not come with a spare tire nor is there room for one in the rear. Given that I just put snows on her car and they aren't run flats, I'm thinking about getting her one of tire repair kits so at least she can get home with out too much hassle if she gets a flat. I was looking at a Slime Kit but does anyone else have other suggestions? Thanks.

Slime or fix a flat sealant products will ruin Tire Pressure sensors and make a mess of the inside of the wheel and tire.

I have a tire plug kit and mini tire inflator, but also am willing to plug a tire if needed out on the road. I would only use a sealant product in an extreme pinch, knowing I am making a mess with the wheel, tire, TPMS and balance of the assembly.

Reactions: JC1
I would pass on the Slime Kit.

Get Safety Seal. They have better quality patches with better self-vulcanizing properties. Get yourself a kit with both patch sizes, or order the small ones separately.

You'll hear a lot of F.U.D. about plug kits. Nothing wrong with them IF properly used. Properly used means don't run the tire flat for several miles, plug it, and think everything is OK, the tire is still ruined.

Tire shops won't use them, not for effectiveness or longetivity reasons, but strictly for liability reasons. Since a tire can be repaired without taking it off of the rim, they can't prove the properly inspected the tire. A patch requires them to dismount the tire, so they can "prove" they inspected the inside of the tire.

Agree with above. The cost of cleaning those slimy substance on a fancy car?
IMO, buy another wheel and put on a full size tire as a spare that you can use all year long.
I know there is no space but I will create a space for it.

My wifes Audi Q7 did not come with a spare tire nor is there room for one in the rear. Given that I just put snows on her car and they aren't run flats, I'm thinking about getting her one of tire repair kits so at least she can get home with out too much hassle if she gets a flat. I was looking at a Slime Kit but does anyone else have other suggestions? Thanks.

Just get a compressor. If the leak is big enough that you can't get home by inflating once, the slime kit will likely not be effective either

^ yeah the nail will sorta plug the leak. Toyota says to leave the nail in because it plugs the leak in the spare-less prius. Car comes with an inflator and, IIRC, goo.

I put a plug kit and a cheap pair of diagonal cutters in wife's trunk. The dikes will grip any foreign object well enough to remove it, and also cut the plug flush once installed.

As for rope plugs, I've had great luck with them. Like said above, don't drive on a flat, you'll shred it inside and wreck its structure. With TPMS you should have enough warning to pull over.

I have a tire plug kit and mini tire inflator, but also am willing to plug a tire if needed out on the road. I would only use a sealant product in an extreme pinch, knowing I am making a mess with the wheel, tire, TPMS and balance of the assembly.
I keep a plug kit and cigarette lighter plug air pump in every car. I've done a few roadside tire plugs. Always works like a charm!!

Reactions: JC1
I'm not sure his wife is as interested in plugging a tyre on the car in winter weather, that's part of the reason I suggested trying just a compressor and fix it when home..

I'm not sure his wife is as interested in plugging a tyre on the car in winter weather, that's part of the reason I suggested trying just a compressor and fix it when home..
I certainly don't see my wife plugging a tire any time of year or putting up with a fullsize spare in the cargo area. She could call AAA but what can they can do with out a spare ?

I certainly don't see my wife plugging a tire any time of year or putting up with a fullsize spare in the cargo area. She could call AAA but what can they can do with out a spare ?

Great idea. I suppose, they can tow it home.
Probably a pro membership is a good idears.

I think Audi uses indirect TPMS, so you don't have to worry about slime gumming it up.

Unfortunately, the ContiComfortKit doesn't seem to be made anymore. However, I found this knockoff on Amazon

Agree with above. The cost of cleaning those slimy substance on a fancy car?
IMO, buy another wheel and put on a full size tire as a spare that you can use all year long.
I know there is no space but I will create a space for it.

This. Get a tire/wheel combo from Tire Rack. It comes mounted and balanced and ready to put in the car.

They can plug the tyre I suppose. But I'm sure she can pump a tyre and continue on her merry way, or towards a tyre centre
They won't. Liability.

Good time to check on just what your tow insurance covers, and what it does not.

The plug kit only works for me on the assumption that I will show up and use it. I don't think my wife will be using my plug kit, or my tool kit, either. But they are in the car at all times.

Ive got a Slime kit in each of my cars. Im not patching or plugging a tire on the side of the road that's just plain dumb, especially at night or in adverse weather conditions, at that point might as well change a tire. So what if the Slime ruins a tpms sensor, sure beats getting flattend by a inattentive driver. Yea you could drive to a safe location to do all the stuff some suggest but if it happens on the highway, you have to slow way down and increase the chances of getting rear ended. My personal view is minimize exposure to risk, then get back on the road until I can find a tire place and get the proper repairs done. A tpms sensor can be replaced, your life can't.

Last edited:
With most I think it’s better to buy them AAA membership than any ‘repair kit’. I agree, slime in the tire messes up the balance & whatever’s inside.

I would keep one of the other tires/wheel(that you removed) in her hatch area. This is what I do. And in the summer, I keep one of the winter tires in the trunk. I don't keep so much stuff/junk in my trunks/hatches that it'd be a bother to remove that tire if we needed more/extra room for that occasional BIG BOX trip.

Many people that I know keep sooooo much stuff in their trunk/hatchback that it makes me laugh. I'd rather keep a tire in there along with a few emergency tools/items, a tire plug kit & a 100 psi compressor.
I don't use my vehicles as extra storage space.

Last edited:
I use a plug kit when I have a leak or flat but I don't do the plug on the side of the road. I change the tire then make the repair at home in my own driveway. I doubt most women would have enough strength to successfully plug a tire even if they had a plugging kit. Here's another vote for making room for a spare donut or full size. Preferably full size.

I agree! I won't plug a tire along the side of the road. I will however install the spare tire and then plug the tire when(soon after) arriving to our destination. Even if traveling on vacation, I'll fix the tire at the hotel/resort/wear ever once we've settled in. You can create your own scenario.

I want a full size spare tire in my vehicles. If we get a flat tire while out on the road/hiwy, I just want to install the spare and complete my whole trip if I so choose. In certain situations, I like buying 5 tires and doing a 5 tire rotation til it's time for my next set of tires. However in my current situation, I have separate winter/summer pkg's so, I just carry one along.

Back