Tire recommendations for a RAV4

HI there, you guys were an amazing help with figuring out what to put on my car in my last post, so I figured I would see what you would recommend for an all season tire on my wife's RAV4 (225/65 R17). I live in MD so we see all 4 seasons. Right now I'm eyeing the Hankook P737 and General Altimax RT43. Kinda looking to stay in the $110 range per tire (not including install), although I can go a little over if there is a real standout performer. Anything else I should be looking at?

Consider a 3-peak all-season tire, such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Nokian WRG4
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Toyo Celsius
Kumho Solus HA31

Reactions: wdn
Screenshot_20200920-005439_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200920-005558_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200920-005624_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200920-005648_Chrome.jpg

HI there, you guys were an amazing help with figuring out what to put on my car in my last post, so I figured I would see what you would recommend for an all season tire on my wife's RAV4 (225/65 R17). I live in MD so we see all 4 seasons. Right now I'm eyeing the Hankook P737 and General Altimax RT43. Kinda looking to stay in the $110 range per tire (not including install), although I can go a little over if there is a real standout performer. Anything else I should be looking at?
If Hankook P737 and General Altimax RT43 are your options, RT43 is a better choice.
Another question will be H or T speed rating. T if you want more mileage warranty. H if you want better handling. T speed rating's side wall is a bit soft for me.
I had RT43 on my sold 2002 Toyota Highlander. They work extremely well in all condition, snow included.

The General DT43s H rated tires are made in the USA while T rated ones come from overseas. You also have the Cooper Evolution as another US made option in that size and price range. For a bit more, the Goodyear Assurance Maxlifes seem to have great reviews and that size is also made in the USA, the Toyo Open Country A38 are a nice replacement as well that come from Georgia, The BF goodrich ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT get really nice reviews on tire rack, same with the Conitnental Trucontact Tour and CrossContact LX25(also made in the USA as well).

I'm looking at the H rated or better tires for any option I pickup. I think at that rating the P737 has a 90k mile warranty and the RT43 has a 65k mile. We only put about 10k miles on the RAV4 a year, so its unlikely we would really use the full millage rating of the P737 before I replaced them due to age, but more tread = more traction through its life right?

I will check out the continentals, I have not seen them for sale locally.

Has anyone had any experience with the Kumho Crugen HP71? 65k warranty with 1 year road hazard warranty. There is a rebate going for that tire which puts it around $95 a tire. Its also a V speed rated tire at that price.

Last edited:
The Hankook aren’t bad tires. I have always had good luck with them and then Continental, Michelin and BF Goodrich and Cooper and General. I have the Hankook Optimo H724 whitewall on my truck and they have been great they grip in the rain nicely. Also may want to look into Pirelli my dad has those on his Toyota and is really impressed by them they grip tremendously in the snow and rain we are in Virginia so we also see all of the seasons.

There's more information needed, year and motor size, fwd or awd, and cargo, also will it be hauling a trailer. It it were mine, I'd consider something in a 215 or more likely a 205 width, 225 is more heavy and wide to roll on, especially if you have the 4 cylinder. For example, summer tires I got for my 2005 4Runner are the 245/65/16, and it rolls noticeably better than the Previous owner supplied all terrain 265/70/16 tires. The other example I have is a 1996 Rav4, went from the stock size to a slightly smaller and same result, rolls better. Of course keep in mind your speed and load rates limits as you would not want to be under and preferably slightly to a lot over.

Than I would also get dedicated snow tires for the winter, working on that for my 2005 Camry, I have a different problem where the stock is a 205/65/15 and the tires I got (slightly) used where a 195/60/15 and it just sits so low to the ground that I resorted to using the 2010 Sienna snow tires, 215/65/16, nice tall tire for ground clearance, but it is the max limit in size this car can likely handle and wider than I'd prefer, so I resigned to find another set, waiting to hear from a seller that has 205/60/16, or going to set up a buy from Walmart, though new I am likely going to consider stock size or up to 205/75/15 or something in a 16 inch that will fit the Sienna too.

I'm a fan of RT43's myself, and run on my vehicles. That said, I don't know what your miles per year is. The Nokian WRG4 (or similar) may be a good tire for year round usage if you are not driving too much--or if you don't mind replacing every year or two.

Also, how fast do you wear out tires? In my neck of the woods, most tires are done after 40k. A 70k warranty means diddly around, few can hit that--roads just have too many turns. That is part of why I run RT43's, reasonable cost.

My RAV4 is AWD 4 cyl and never hauls anything besides myself my wife and our 2 y/o and maybe some luggage on a vacation. The 60-70k mile tires I tend to replace around 50k miles/5 years. The RT43 seem to be the softest wearing tires I have looked at so far.

I do not plan on getting snow tires, simply cannot afford to do that at this point.

My RAV4 is AWD 4 cyl and never hauls anything besides myself my wife and our 2 y/o and maybe some luggage on a vacation. The 60-70k mile tires I tend to replace around 50k miles/5 years. The RT43 seem to be the softest wearing tires I have looked at so far.

I do not plan on getting snow tires, simply cannot afford to do that at this point.

Then you definitely want 3-peak all-season tires

Personally, I will be going the route of 245/65/17 Kumho HT51 on my new-to-me Rav4.3. If looking for more aggressive, look into the AT51.

I decided to go with the RT43 for my Rav4. I was reading up on road for balancing, is that worth looking around for a shop that can do that?

I decided to go with the RT43 for my Rav4. I was reading up on road for balancing, is that worth looking around for a shop that can do that?
Are the the T , H, or V rated ? Keep us updated on their performance . Enjoy .

I think you’ll be happy with the RT43’s. I put these on my wife’s ‘15 Subaru Legacy last fall to replace the Goodyear eagles at 47000 miles. Those tires were useless from day one. She loves the Generals and says the car handles SO MUCH better in winter. They are quiet too.

I actually have the continental cross contact tires on my ‘16 Hyundai Santa Fe awd and will not be purchasing more. At just 36000 I want to replace them. They have gotten quite noisy and the tread depth has reduced a lot in just the past 10k miles. They were smooth as glass and silent up to around 28k miles but now they make a horrible pulsating sound. I rotate every 5000 miles.

I put the Kumho crugen HT 51 on my old Subaru Forester last fall and love those. May get those for the Santa Fe. The HT51 is about as close to a winter tire as you can get in an all season tire. Deep aggressive tread and high mileage rating. The forester cuts through snow and slush likes it’s not even there.

Kumho Crugen HT51, wife has this on her rogue. It is a copy of the LTX, phenomenal in the snow, rain, and very quiet and comfortable. Absolutely one of the best sets of tires I’ve ever purchased.

Yes, I only buy tires from places that offer roadforce balancing. It’s best for any defective tires to be discovered at the time of purchase. I had the misfortune of getting a few out of rounds from buying online or from dealers that didn’t have RF balancers; I spent in excess of $300 correcting these situations

If you roll out with defective tires, you will be on the hook for diagnostic and mounting/balancing charges to correct it.

Over the past decade I have received a few out of rounds.
Kelly: 2 of 4 were out of round.
Pirelli: 3 of 8 were out of round.
General: 1 of 12 were out of round.
Continental: 0 of 12 were out of round.
Michelin: 0 of 4 were out of round.
Goodyear: 0 of 4 were out of round.

The General tire that I bought that was found to be out of round was a very early RT43. We haven’t had any issue with our other RT43s, they are a high quality, comfortable, and confident tire.

Back