Tire Profile of Michelin PSAS4 - Wide 295/21

I'm looking to convert my dedicated snows to All Seasons for winter use......have summer PS4's as such summer shoes

Currently Alpin 5 SUV in 295/35/21.
I have to check but the inside sidewall of the tire is different than the front. The front does have a profile that protects the face if the tire went facedown.
The rear, it does not....and the wheel edge will scratch if it touches a hard surface.

So tell me if anyone is familiar with the PS AS4 ....how's the profile of this on the front and rear side, if the tread is directional

Like CapriRacer said, the tire is asymmetric. This means that the tire will have a specific "inside" and "outside" sidewall mounting instruction. The outside sidewall will be stamped "outside" and there is a rim protector molded into the tire only on the outside sidewall.

You can rotate asymmetric tires to either side of the vehicle and they will still be turning in the proper direction. This is not true for tires that are made to turn in only one direction. Directional tires will have an arrow stamped on them in lieu of the "outside" wording on the asymmetric.

I've never run a set of these tires but they are certainly attractive.

1717498638724.jpg

The tread of a Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Is asymmetrical, but non-directional. I go into detail about the difference between asymetrical and directional tires here: Barry's Tire Tech: Directional and Asymmetrical Tires:
yep I have them they are marked outside, i.e. asymmetrical. But they aren't directional.

Interestingly, on my LS430. The car came used with Rydanz R02's which look nice, also asymmetrical, all season. If there was as little as 1-2" of snow, the car couldn't get traction. It'd be a reminder to get the X ice's on.

Last two years I didn't bother to put on the snows, and the car seemed to drive fine in 2" of snow. My observation is truly unscientific. But it almost lends credence to tire tests where sometimes a good tire is better in the wet, than a bad tire in the dry. Who really knows. But this tire was standard on the base Corvette so it has to be decent imho.

p.s. the only possible disadvantage? The warranty is 40k if not staggered (like mine). Seems today "normal" tires have 70-80k warranties (which not all can use due to a time limit usually 6 years). So it implies that they wear faster. But I do recommend them

What does that even mean?
I believe my Pilot Super Sports (2014) have a lip that offers a tiny bit of protection to the rim...as they are 40's and 35's on my car....I think OP is referring to that slight rim protector

All season tires a too much of a compromise foe me.
I currently have the AS4's on my RWD 328i. I also have dedicated snow tires, and had dedicated summer tires, Continental Extreme Sports previously. The AS4s work perfect for those in-between days we get frequently here in New England. I was caught in a few below 30 degree mornings with my Contis, and it was definitely apparent there was a lack of grip. As far as a compromise, the AS4s grip really well for what they are. I wasn't pleased with how many times they took to balance, but they have otherwise been good tires, and I drive my car decently hard.

Won't even be rotating this set.....it will be used primarily as Winter setup, but being all season, it does allow me to drift into delayed summer tire swaps. It's 10 1/2 and 11 inch staggered on this set I plan the PSAS4 on.

I baby all my wheels but I'm pretty sure the PS4S has rim protection on -both- sides of the tire.
I only ask about this as I know the Alpin 5 does not.....as haven't ran the PSAS4 at all.
Can't ever think when was the last time I ran All Season's but with the so called global warming.....and nil snow......it's just a better move to move to a HP All Season versus Gummi Bears when there are cold days but there are more mild days than cold.

Granted I know the last statement is local specific but snow tires is not something called for at least for use profile these days
I would mind installing some Cross Climates but it's not made in wonky size of 295/35/21

Last edited:
Back