tire prob, please help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, got a 98 civic, tires on the car 185/70/14, a month or so ago i had a bad tire come and i had to get a new tire for the back right, no one in town the the correct size, so the guy at the tire place told me a 195/70/14 would work on the car. he said it was a little wider tire but it would be ok, so now its time to replace the other 3 tires that are 185/70/14. what size of tires do i go with, thats my question to all of you tire guru's ?

I'd go with the recommended OEM size.

The 195/70/-14 isn't the correct size for a factory recommended 185/70-14.

If you want to go plus zero size, to get correct speedometer reading, you'll be better off with the 195/65-14 as this is the closest to the factory recommended size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kenwin30
so the guy at the tire place told me a 195/70/14 would work on the car. he said it was a little wider tire but it would be ok,

That tire guy should be shot. I believe it is against the law to have two different size tires on the same axle (unless it's a temporary donut). Also, a 195/70/14 tire is not only wider but also taller than your 3 other tires. Had it been the front axle, you would have probably felt vibration in the steering at higher speeds.

There is not right or wrong answer.

You could buy three 195's, which will result in your speedometer being a bit off.

You could buy four 185's which will be a bit more expensive but keep your speedometer spot on.

Neither will make a big difference in the speedo, fuel mileage, or handling IMO.

do you guys think the extra size with the 195's would make the tires rub, the one on the back right is not rubbing, but when i get the 195's on the front, they might rub there, not sure....

Originally Posted By: bepperb
There is not right or wrong answer.

You could buy three 195's, which will result in your speedometer being a bit off.

You could buy four 185's which will be a bit more expensive but keep your speedometer spot on.

Odds are the speedometer will be more accurate with the one size larger tires.

Originally Posted By: kenwin30
do you guys think the extra size with the 195's would make the tires rub, the one on the back right is not rubbing, but when i get the 195's on the front, they might rub there, not sure....

Nah... the difference is small enough that it shouldn't rub, unless you have some very low aftermarket suspension on that car.

I would bet alot of money the 195's won't rub on the front. In theory your 195 tire need like 1/4" more side clearance and a tiny bit more radial clearance.
I'm not sure if I like your tire guy for just putting on the bigger size tire on the back as it practically makes no difference at all in performance of safety, or a bit scared that he broke one of the cardinal rules of tire replacement...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
as it practically makes no difference at all in performance of safety,

If it was placed on the drive axle (which it was not in this case), could it cause driveline problems due to one side of the axle constantly turning more revolutions than the other?

I once had a 195/60/15 and a 195/65/15 tire placed on the front of a FWD car (tire rack and installer oversight). I drove on it for a few days... obviously, there was some steering vibration at hwy speeds... but could there have been other damage done to the driveline during that time?

Last edited:
On a limited slip with two different sized tires yes.

But on most cars no. On cars that do, they won't have a doughnut spare tire. Or they'll S2000 you... if you have a rear flat on that have fun. Fronts go to rear, good rear and spare go to front.

On my last accord, one tire was visibly more worn than the other. Could have been 2mm more worn, or 4mm in diameter difference. Car had a pull. I'm not sure if it was that or conicity, but new tires fixed it without an alignment.

There won't be any fitement issues with 195's on the front of a Civic, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
as it practically makes no difference at all in performance of safety,

If it was placed on the drive axle (which it was not in this case), could it cause driveline problems due to one side of the axle constantly turning more revolutions than the other?

It puts more wear on the differential spider gears.

Whether or not one tires size is enough to matter in the lifetime of your car is the question. It's a good thing to avoid doing.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
I would just get 3 more of the 195s to match the new one you bought a month ago.
+1 As long as the one you got looks ok in the wheel well, ie. not rubbing or too close.

There are lots of tire speedo calculators on the net, just google it. Miata has one where they overlay one tire size on the other. I used another because I didn't want to download the new Java version right now.

When I put in your two tire sizes (old,new) it says at 60 mph on your speedo with the new tires, 195/70/14's, your actual speed would be 61.4 mph. Not too bad, IMO.

Good luck
J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back