Tire noise

I have a set of tires with about 18k miles on them. One (or maybe two) tires have become very loud. Almost sounds like a wheel bearing roar. I rotated the tires from front to back and the sound switched with them, so that rules out the wheel bearing. Can't tell if it is both rear tires or just one. They are wearing uniformly. Is there anything related to a tire defect that would cause this?

I've had other tires that got louder as they wore but not just a single (or pair). Still a lot of tread life left but they are really annoying on a long trip.

Thanks,
Rut

What kind of tire, brand, model, size, etc?

I had a Caliber several years ago that the OEM tires were very noisy. They got progressively worse until we changed tires. It was just the nature of that tire.

They are Yokohama Geolander CV 235/60R18 tires on a 2017 Honda CR-V.

Tire blocks wear from front to back (as the road sees it). This angled wear is often caused by braking action, wearing the leading edge the most. (remember your car can brake at 1G or more, corner at 3/4 of a G and accelerate at 1/4 G) So braking is the highest load tires often see.

Run your hand forward over the top of the tire, then backwards. You will probably feel the edges are sharper in one direction than the other.

Rotate tires side to side to reverse tread block wear, and manage noise. However,,,,,, if you have not been doing so from the start, the tires will prob remain somewhat noisy, as the tread blocks won't become perfectly shaped.

I use an X pattern for rotation. It prevents a lot of problems.

Motorcycle front knobby tires wear like this for the above reason:
(the front brake is used heavily on a motorcycle, and the leading edge scrubs off first, leading to what you see here)
Michelin+T63-1250.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
They are Yokohama Geolander CV 235/60R18 tires on a 2017 Honda CR-V.
I have Yokohama Geolander's on two different vehicles, a 2015 PathFinder and a 2012 Frontier, and they are good tires; not the exact same type, but they have given us really good service with little noise.

Back