Tire Matching

I have an 05 Saab 9-3 with 215 55 16 tires. Presently, I have Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires on the front (93H). These have about 9/32 left on them and are from 2017. I plan to run them another two years or so.

The question about matching refers to the back tires. There, I need to replace some Continentals that are down to 4/32.

What should I put on the back? New Tiger Paws are 97V; does the extra load matter? I could also try some Hankooks, or other tires. Used is an option, too, I guess. I can match the front Uniroyals (93H) with tires from eBay.

Since old tires are 9/32 that is barely worn and I would put them on the back with the new tires on the front
so they wear even.

If the tires were more worn I would put the new tires on the back.

You will get varying answers the stock answer would be new tires always on back so you dont spin out. And while that is ok I like to buy 4 tires at a time..
and your 2 tires are barely worn so its not a safety issue to put the old tires on back.

If this is a nice car, I would try to match the tires just for the looks alone. Many people couldn't care less, but to me it looks off when I see a different tire on the front and the back. If you don't want to match them and looks matter to you, I would mount the same pairs on one side of the car, but just the mention of that here brings out the expletives in folks.

I have an 05 Saab 9-3 with 215 55 16 tires. Presently, I have Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires on the front (93H). These have about 9/32 left on them and are from 2017. I plan to run them another two years or so.

What should I put on the back?
In my experience the front tires on a front wheel drive car wear much faster (due to steering, accelerating and carrying much of the weight). Problem is your 9/32" tires are already at least 5 years old.

So I would put the new tires on the back and the older tires on the front so as to get the most wear out of them before they "time out" on you..

In my experience the front tires on a front wheel drive car wear much faster (due to steering, accelerating and carrying much of the weight). Problem is your 9/32" tires are already at least 5 years old.

So I would put the new tires on the back and the older tires on the front so as to get the most wear out of them before they "time out" on you..
That is certainly a valid option. I missed they were 5+ years old. I think I would have just bought 4 and sold the 2 good ones.
I like the same rubber all around.

Of course I think those tires even at 7 or 8 years are better than the majority I see in parking lots here.
bald, wear bars, cords showing, decrepit 15+ year old ones.

For road use, I would match the tyres on each axle. Ideally on both axles but not critical prodived they are or similar performance & construction.

depending on your use & climat, 2017 tyres could start showing signs of ageing: cracks at the base of the groves or the sidewall. I just replaced my 2016 front tyre because of this despite 3~4 mm tread depth

I would get 2 new tires of whatever brand at the lowest price you can stomach running. Next time around I would replace all 4.

1662150801574.jpg
this matches the tires on my car . 🤪

A buddy I work with has a Corolla. I was looking at his front passenger tire, just curious of what tires he had, glanced at the passenger rear, different tire. Looked at the driver side and had two more different tires.

So he had four different brand tires on his car. I asked him about it and he said he only buys used tires from his tire guy. He has never had a problem and doesn’t care if anybody kids him about it

Sorry to be late to the game. Here's what I would do:

a) IF the new Tiger paws have the same tread pattern, get them.
b) Run the new tires on the front in warm weather - they will wear faster there.
c) Run them in the back in the winter - they will wear less there, and if you get in a handling issue situation, more grab back there is more important (this is standard theory, not my own private weirdness).

Over time this will balance out wear and you can ride the two mis-matched down to when one has to be replaced and then get four new. The age of the existing tires is not an issue yet really if they have not been abused or are visually drying, etc. Tiger Paws are still legit tires, even though the name and brand are quite old.

Back