Tire for restored car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently restored a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD back to factory spec. Was in horrible shape when I bought it, including 3 bent rims. Found a set of NOS factory OEM alloys on eBay that I bought and will be the finishing touch. Its time to buy some tires for those rims, this is where I need some input. An OEM tire would be the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tire, I can pick those up cheap and would give the car the OEM look it would have had when new, they are 205/55/16 tires. I know its probably not the best tire. I drive the car 2K miles/year so its more for car shows and occasional trips, I don't drive it hard or race it, its just used more as a cruiser for me since I had one of these cars back in High School. I considered an entry level performance tire, but I'm not using the car in that manner. Any input is appreciated!

For a low priced decent option maybe the BFG g-force sport comp 2 all seasons. I have them on my 95 GT and they handle dry and wet weather very well. Not sure I'd go with that option in snow but you may not be worried about that
BFG G-force sport comp 2 A/S

For a bit more performance you could go with the tire, the sport comp-2, but not the all season version. I had those on my 08 GT and liked them alot.

Also, share some pictures! Those Talons are awesome. I remember a friend in highschool had one, of course not the hot awd version.

[Linked Image]

I considered the BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's. It has Michelin Premier A/S tires on it but they are sitting about 4/32, not worth putting those on the new rims.

That is a terrific looking Talon. Must be a blast to drive with the all wheel drive. And yea I really like the Comp 2 A/S on my older Mustang. The car is pretty traction limited with no weight in the back and doesn't have ABS. But the tires seem to keep me alive somehow
lol.gif

Thanks! Only thing that really holds it back is the Automatic transmission. Was ideally looking for the manual/AWD combo but they are just not out there. This one came up at a good price and I grabbed it site unseen. What looked great in pictures online was a nightmare, required new paint, full engine re-work, someone tried modding it and didn't do a tune so it ran horribly. Returned everything to bone stock. Every panel on the interior was either faded, warped or cracked, a local salvage yard had a Plymouth Laser with a mint interior so I replaced every interior panel, even the dash, only the gauge cluster was retained so mileage stayed true at 121,000, a local upholstery shop re-did the seats with factory OEM fabric. Its really like a brand new car at this point. Also 100% rust free since it was an AZ car.

Not sure, I don't think too many of the 5 speed AWD cars survived to hit high miles! Most of those got run to pieces. Very rare to find one in any condition today.

One of the local tire shops was pushing a General G max tire. Seems like a good tire at first glance. Its only an April-October kind of car so its never out in the cold.

The Goodyear Eagle RS-A would be a good choice to make it look as old-school correct as possible since the RS-A is an ancient design.
smile.gif
Depending on what characteristics are most important to you, I personally would avoid them.

Since Goodyear does not make a modern Gatorback (which is what would have been on this car from the factory), I would suggest the Eagle Sport. Still Goodyear-branded which helps keep the OEM-ish look, looks pretty low-key as tires go nowadays, and they are actually decent performers to boot.

Just looked it up since I was curious, Goodyear Eagle GT+4 was the OEM tire, when that was discontinued the OEM's replaced that tire with the RS-A or Gatorback. Ill look into the Eagle Sport too, I also saw on eBay the Eagle F1 Asymmetrical as a possible OE type tire.

One thing you may not like about the look of newer tires: most have rim protectors at the beads now. Some are pretty subtle but some are very pronounced. The really pronounced ones will look out of place if you really want that old OEM look.

Didn't these things have an optional 17" wheel fitment from the factory? If so, finding a set of those would be a big improvement in tire selection and cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back