Tire dressing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does tire dressing preserve the structural integrity of the sidewall by preventing the
sun rays from drying out the rubber and subsequently causing crack formations?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Does tire dressing preserve the structural integrity of the sidewall by preventing the

Well it depends on the product in my experience. I find it best to use a product that states it has UV inhibitors. I tend to like my tires clean and matte, so a product like 303 or VLR is what I use.

You could try searching and find the answer. You'd find posts like this one:
This one

And this one

Pops' search got it exactly right. You want a dressing that is water based. Plain and simple. I use Hyper Dressing by Meguiars. It is the same stuff that Discount Tire uses to dress brand new tires rolling out of their garages. I bought the gallon. It dilutes up to 4-1 and lasts a long time. Whatever you go with be sure it's water based and not silicone based.

Hyper Dressing

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics
Pops' search got it exactly right. You want a dressing that is water based. Plain and simple. I use Hyper Dressing by Meguiars. It is the same stuff that Discount Tire uses to dress brand new tires rolling out of their garages. I bought the gallon. It dilutes up to 4-1 and lasts a long time. Whatever you go with be sure it's water based and not silicone based.

Hyper Dressing

I use Hyper Dressing too. I bought a quart of it years ago and since I dilute it with three parts water it will probably last me a decade. I wouldn't say it's long-lasting, but I like the clean, satin appearance and just reapply when needed. I can't stand that super glossy, dipped-in-Vaseline look that some guys like for their tires.

IIRC it is ozone that harms tires the most. I think the purple meg's stuff has anti ozone and I suspect others do as well.

The brown stuff on tires is the anti ozone wax which is in the tire itself.

There are no "silicon based" products. Your choices are water or (organic) solvent and nearly all are water.

I got Adam's Super VRT in cue to order next on Amazon. It's supposed to be the longest lasting dressing there is....it's water based but water-proof. What?

Been using Optimum Tire Bond. Water based with UV inhibitors with nice results.

FWIW I am in the 303 Aerospace camp. Nice matte finish, initially developed for anti-UV (airplanes and boats) and makes interior plastic/vinyl actually look "rich". Longer lasting than others I have tried as well.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Chemical Guys Silk Shine works good.

I like their VRP too if you are looking for a deeper shine without looking slick.

I haven't tried that one but silk shine has really done well for me. I like how it dries to a non greasy finish after wiping off the excess. Smells good too! I like to try different stuff, but buy by the gallon so it might be a while haha. I found their Gardena location is pretty close to where I do business occasionally so I can swing by their store once in a while.

Merkava,

I've never heard of that before! Since it's mostly just silicone and water I wouldn't think so.

I heard as an alternative to use just cheap motor oil.

Durango

I use Meguiars Hot Shine aresol. Stays on and lasts a long time. Super easy application, just spray on, no splashing etc. Only downside is trying to apply in windy conditions.

Originally Posted By: Durango

Merkava,

I've never heard of that before! Since it's mostly just silicone and water I wouldn't think so.

I heard as an alternative to use just cheap motor oil.

Durango

Wouldn't motor oil, cheap or otherwise degrade the rubber over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back