Tire dressing/protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see what everyone uses for tire dressing. I'm looking for something that does not wash off instantly in the rain. I used to use a dupont product that is no longer available. My travel trailer tires looked new after 7 years(except for the tread sections) when i replaced them. What will hold up to water and help with uv? I don't really bother with a tire dressing on my daily drivers. but i do on my truck and travel trailer as they sit a lot. I'd like something that dries and is not a tacky sticky coating.

Last edited:
Opti-Bond Tire Gel
The ultra-safe formula contains no petroleum distillates or VOCs, which are known to crack vinyl and rubber. Opti-Bond Tire Gel’s safe, water-based formula delivers premium protection and an attractive shine to all rubber and vinyl.

Beyond great looks, Opti-Bond Tire Gel provides durable protection to rubber and vinyl. Advanced UV and ozone protectants shield tires and trim from sun damage and environmental pollution. Rubber and vinyl surfaces stay supple, flexible, and retain their color with regular use of Opti-Bond Tire Gel. The tire gel creates a shiny, but never greasy, finish on all rubber and vinyl surfaces. The finish is water-based, so it will not attract dust.

Originally Posted By: Tadd
Opti-Bond Tire Gel
The ultra-safe formula contains no petroleum distillates or VOCs, which are known to crack vinyl and rubber. Opti-Bond Tire Gel’s safe, water-based formula delivers premium protection and an attractive shine to all rubber and vinyl.

Beyond great looks, Opti-Bond Tire Gel provides durable protection to rubber and vinyl. Advanced UV and ozone protectants shield tires and trim from sun damage and environmental pollution. Rubber and vinyl surfaces stay supple, flexible, and retain their color with regular use of Opti-Bond Tire Gel. The tire gel creates a shiny, but never greasy, finish on all rubber and vinyl surfaces. The finish is water-based, so it will not attract dust.

With this I often cut it half with water just to extend the product. Detailers advice.

Just picked up a can of the new Armor All Outlast Tire Glaze ($5 at Advanced) and tried it out this weekend. It was a little too glossy for me so I gave it a quick wipe to tone things down. Curious to see how long it last (they claim 100 car washes!).

Originally Posted By: Picky1
Just picked up a can of the new Armor All Outlast Tire Glaze ($5 at Advanced) and tried it out this weekend. It was a little too glossy for me so I gave it a quick wipe to tone things down. Curious to see how long it last (they claim 100 car washes!).

That stuff leaves a horrible waxy buildup on the tires
and I'm not convinced it doesn't damage or accelerate cracking/weatherchecking

My friend used it.. and it took him about an hour to remove the overspray off his wheels the next day also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Meguiars Endurance® Tire Gel is great, lasts months and is not a glossy shine.

I'm generally not a proponent of tire dressings, as they may interfere with a tire's designed-in UV resistance.

But the one time I tried this same product on a garaged vehicle, it kept up a tire store appearance for well over a year. Not glossy -- just looked like a new tire for a long time.

Not sure I'd use it again, but this stuff looked and lasted great.

I use this stuff called "Bleche White", I've got my tires mounted with the white band facing outward. Stuff does a great job at cleaning the tire; doesn't leave it gloss or anything, just clean.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
I use this stuff called "Bleche White", I've got my tires mounted with the white band facing outward. Stuff does a great job at cleaning the tire; doesn't leave it gloss or anything, just clean.

Westley's Bleche White has been around for at least 50 years. It's the original whitewall tire cleaner since the 1950s, maybe earlier. We used gallons of it years ago. Back then, it was strong enough to burn your bare fingers and made tires whiter than white. Not as much use on today's full blackwalls, though. I think I have a gallon of it laying around somewhere. I will add that it was a great wiper rejuvenator, too.

I'm not sure if the latest formula is the same as what we used, however, since the company has changed hands in recent years.

I think the safest and easiest tire "treatment" for today's blackwalls is a quick wipe down with Vinylex or similar light duty rubber cleaner, followed by a regular car washing. Leaves them clean with a nice appearance, but without residue to fling around or affect the compound's native UV chemistry.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: slowdime

Westley's Bleche White has been around for at least 50 years. It's the original whitewall tire cleaner since the 1950s, maybe earlier. We used gallons of it years ago. Back then, it was strong enough to burn your bare fingers and made tires whiter than white. Not as much use on today's full blackwalls, though. I think I have a gallon of it laying around somewhere. I will add that it was a great wiper rejuvenator, too.

I'm not sure if the latest formula is the same as what we used, however, since the company has changed hands in recent years.

I think the safest and easiest tire "treatment" for today's blackwalls is a quick wipe down with Vinylex or similar light duty rubber cleaner, followed by a regular car washing. Leaves them clean with a nice appearance, but without residue to fling around or affect the compound's native UV chemistry.

It does a good job on black walls too. I used it on my girlfriends mazda and it took all the brake dust and gunk right off the tire. Following it up with something to condition the rubber would probably be a good idea though.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Pledge

I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLEDGE!

I have experienced with PLEDGE years ago on the tires, black/rubber body side molding and the paint of the vehicle. This is what PLEDGE and some other lesser/similar products do:

*On plastics and rubber, it caused premature cracking/checking.

*On paint, it causes the paint to dry and brings out the imperfections in the paint over time!

*On interior plastics and vinyls, it caused the material to dry and crack again, over time. But, the time is soon not years! Each material has a different length of time that it starts to deteriorate. And it will happen!

I even tried(believe it or not) on a pair of cheap black sneakers that were made from Man Made Materials. And the same thing happened. They cracked and peeled terribly!

If PLEDGE is working for someone then, Great! But, it's terrible stuff for the automotive world.

USE PLEDGE ON WOOD SURFACES!

I put the new amoral outlast stuff on my truck tires at the first of may. Still looks good. Goes on glossy but soon dulls thank goodness. It's like a waxy clear coat the best way I can describe. I got over spray on rims. I won't make that mistake twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back