Tips on Apartment Hunting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The area is fine. It is in the heart of the North San Jose high tech area and the whole place are very clean and organized. Most of the people who live around the area are single/couples without kids professionals.

Students don't stay in these area, and the rents kind of prohibit the subsidized housing type of tenants, let alone illegal aliens. Those type of housing usually exists in Menlo Park near the freeway, East Palo Alto, Redwood City, East San Jose, etc.

Find a room for rent in a very nice area.

With so many retired people or people tight on money are looking for a decent person to rent their empty spare room. Don't tell them you are only in the area for 3 months cause they might change their mind. Sure beats living in an apartment complex with all the hassles, games, crime, Bee.S, vandalism, loud music till 2 AM, etc.....

When I was doing my 6 month internship for Marquette Medical (now GE Clinical) I was driving 85 miles to and from work (170 miles per day) because I did not want to lease an apartment and it was less expensive to drive than to find another place.

I found a place!
An employee of the company I'm working at has a "mother-in-law" studio apartment connected to their house. The house is relatively new and seems to be in a good area. They rent it out to interns during the summer, otherwise it is normally empty. It's in Santa Clara and only about 9 miles from the job site.
Rent is a little over half of what I was looking at for regular apartments.

I've been amazed at how quickly listings get filled. out of 15 emails sent only one responded that they were available, 5 responded the room was filled.

Thats Great !!!!!

Now you have a nice, safe quiet place to stay while you are away from home.

Are they going to offer you a position once the internship is over ?

There is potential for a job offering. My main reason for taking the internship is to see if I like working for a large company in a large metro area. I've only worked for small businesses in small towns previously.

I've also made personal contact with someone at the director level within the same company, but a different division and location, that told me "with your background send me your resume and I'll find a spot for you when you graduate". So working within the company this summer boosts that potential also.

happy2.gif

Sunnyvale is a nice area. But they don't really have a downtown anymore.

The one area of Sunnyvale I would avoid is Lawrence Expressway between US101 and CA237. I drove through there a few times and the neighborhood appears to be "the 'hood".

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Sunnyvale is a nice area. But they don't really have a downtown anymore.

The one area of Sunnyvale I would avoid is Lawrence Expressway between US101 and CA237. I drove through there a few times and the neighborhood appears to be "the 'hood".

The downtown sunnyvale is under construction. It is between Mathilda, Sunnyvale, El Camino, and the train track. I live around that area and they torn down the whole blocks and build condos, shopping, some office, and all sorts of stuff there, pending to reopen late this year to early next year.

Hopefully it won't get too exciting or else the traffic and noise can kill my sleep.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s...006909&t=h&z=17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back