Tipping for contractors?

Tip? Not usually that’s for restaurants lol. Though I have gotten many tips as a mechanic of people who needed just small things like air in their tires and stuff. I once got $35 from a lady for airing up all 4 of her tires and pulling a razor blade out it hadn’t pierced the tire yet but she was happy I got it out.
Automechanic, I have a "personal mechanic" that is a pro MOPAR mechanic by day and a master mechanic out of his home garage after hours. He charges about $40/hour and works with me to meet my needs. On my last Caravan, he did the timing belt job with OEM parts for $800 while the dealer wanted $1600.

Yes, I take care of him. He reciprocates by taking care of me. It's the old way of doing things.

Automechanic, I have a "personal mechanic" that is a pro MOPAR mechanic by day and a master mechanic out of his home garage after hours. He charges about $40/hour and works with me to meet my needs. On my last Caravan, he did the timing belt job with OEM parts for $800 while the dealer wanted $1600.

Yes, I take care of him. He reciprocates by taking care of me. It's the old way of doing things.
Gotta take care of them to keep them. That’s a heck of a deal he cut you there.

He or she bid the job at a rate that they are comfortable with. No tip is necessary. If you are especially happy with the work once it's done, give anything extra you want (though it seems like slipping them a $20 would be 'low'). I'd say $50 minimum.

I tip the workers depending on how difficult the job is and how hard they're working. Had a new roof put on about 6 months ago. Those two guys were up on my roof about 12 hours working away. I gave them a tip for their hard work. I wouldn't tip the owner of the roofing company.

If the workers were very respectful and kept your house nice and clean, I'd tip them.

I don't tip contractor work like the waiters, however I do buy them lunch (take out food like burritos or sandwiches) whenever they work on my place. This let them save some time and I think it is a nice gesture, win win I guess.

OK. I had two guys working from ~ 8:30 till 3.30 minus lunch for 2.5 days. and ~ $150 for materials = ~ $53/man hour.
The guys working are probably getting paid less than $53 per hour. The owner is taking his cut.

Back when I was working construction and was the party chief of the survey/layout crew. I worked for the general contractor on multi million dollar commercial jobs so was always doing things for sub contractors. Some of the sub contractor foremen would repay me with a fifth or half gallon of liquor for making their job easier. I no longer drink alcohol but 35 years ago free alcohol was just that much I didn't have to buy myself.

I have a contractor whom I got through Home Advisor to do some work on my bathroom. The total job requires about 2.25 days and the price is $940. Does one normally tip a contractor in these cases and if so what is a reasonable tip? Ed
No, I would never tip a trades person. They are generally well paid and your thanks is giving them your business and promptly paying.
I remember a priest insisting on tipping me, I politely refused. He got upset so I asked him to donate that money he wanted to tip me to his parrish. He was good with that and everyone was happy.

Back