Time to change the factory fluids...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I have already posted about my truck in the oil forums, but I have a 2008 Tacoma 4x4 with a 5-speed and the 2.7L L4 motor. I am just under 3000 miles, and would like to change out the drive line fluids to get the initial wear crud out, and maybe improve the shifting a bit. I am trying to decide on two things: what to put in the transmission, and what to put in everything else. I have a couple of ideas, but am open to all suggestions!

In the diffs and transfer case, I am looking at either Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90, or just conventional white-bottle Valvoline. I thought about using the Valvoline and changing more often, but the Mobil 1 gets pretty good reviews.

The transmission is a little bit notchy, and downshifting (or shifting in from a slow roll) into 1st is a real pain in the rear in this truck.

I am considering just using the Mobil 1 in the transmission as well (for simplicity), but have heard good things about Redline smoothing out notchy gearboxes. I can get MTL locally, but would have to order MT-90. What is the difference between MTL and MT-90, just weight? I assume I would have to use MT-90, since that is the weight the owner's manual specifies.

What do you think? Thanks!!

I emailed Mobil a while back and they said not to use their Mobil 1 75W90 in a synchronized manual transmission.

Good to know, thanks! I wasn't sure if there were two kinds of Mobil 1 oil or not, and heard that gear oils with limited-slip additives were not good for transmissions.

Accoring to SAE papers changing the gear oils around 2,000 miles then going on the recommended maintenance schedules will double the life of the component. I have a 2006 toy 4x4 X cab 4 cyl 5 speed .It takes a quite a while before it shifts better so be patient and I really like Chevron Delo ESI gear lube. Synthetic performance at half the price. I an running Delo in the trans and diffs."transfer case also". In my 92 Toy 5 sp Redline MT90 worked pretty good but the delo is fine. MTL is a thin oil ,MT90 is like a 90 visc oil.

I was planning to change at 2500, but the mileage crept up on me. I think I would feel more comfortable changing it out early, but I really haven't gotten the miles on the 4x4 that I would like first. I'm headed out this weekend to find some dirt roads.

I've heard someone say it took 40k miles to smooth out their trans. Any improvement to be had in the meantime would be great though. Buying a big jug of one stuff would be nice for simplicity's sake.

I will check out that Chevron Delo; Costco carries a lot of Chevron stuff, do you know if they have it there?

I would like to review the SAE papers you refer to Steve S. Where may if find them. I am curious because a 2000 mile change out counters everything I have read about modern vehicles. In fact many OEM gear lubes are specially dosed to insure a long life and not easy to replace in the open market.

In my corolla manual tranny, i dumped the factory fill at 2200 miles, refilled with coastal 75w90 and ran that to 10K total miles on car, then drained that and refilled with amsoil mtg 75w90.

if i had not used amsoil i would have used redline.

there were visible swirls in the ff drained tranny oil. Didnt look for it when I drained the tranny the second time.

Regardless of fluid used i would do 30-50K intervals depending on the amount (or lack of) driving done. Most recommend 30K intervals.

Last edited:
Would regular factory OEM fill help the break in process better versus an aftermarket fluid?

Is it formulated specifically for break in such as the case in case of engine oil that comes as factory fill?

Thanks for the great replies!

Would it be beneficial to change out with conventional Valvoline now and then switch over to synthetics at 10,000?

What about the transmission? Do the same thing, and wait on the Redline if it isn't really going to smooth it out any?

I probably could have let the FF stay in my tranny until 10K or so to make sure it was nearly 100% broken in and then gone straight to the amsoil or redline, but from the advice of others i drained the FF to get the early wear metals out, then ran another run of cheaper gear oil to 10K to get out whatever wear metals (if any) out and then put in the good stuff.

I did it and have no worries.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I would like to review the SAE papers you refer to Steve S. Where may if find them. I am curious because a 2000 mile change out counters everything I have read about modern vehicles. In fact many OEM gear lubes are specially dosed to insure a long life and not easy to replace in the open market.
I read the article in a trade magazine at work in the 90s. There are some used oil analysis posted with factory gear oil ,look them up. You might have to go to a Chevron oil jobber to pick up the oil or a heavy duty truck parts shop.

So maybe it's a good idea just to use some cheaper stuff to begin with, like the Valvoline. What about maybe even going to the NAPA brand stuff or something? It's $3/qt or so. I don't want to go too cheap and risk the integrity of the vehicle, of course.

If you are content at changing the fluids, stay with dino to help aid the break in process and also see what they sell at the dealership as OEM fluid, if there is such a thing.

After 10k miles or so on dino, I'd switch to a synthetic.

Last edited:
I have a 97 Toyota Tacoma 4L V6 and 6spd manual. Per pablo I went with SVG 75-110 in the Diff and MTG 75-90 in the tranny and transfer case and 10K miles. Couldn't be happier. Mine's the limited slip diff and 1 bottle of anti-slip additive and not a sound.

Whole driveline greatly smoothed out. Shifting, not so much, still notchy and slow shifting, but hey, it's a truck...

Thanks for all the input! Yesterday I went and bought enough conventional 75w90 Valvoline to change everything out. I am going to run it to 10k miles, and then switch everything over to synthetics.

Valvoline was really about the only local conventional stuff I could find, other than SuperTech or Lucas.

I actually found a new parts store that carries all the usual along with Redline, Amsoil, and Royal Purple. Their Amsoil is cheaper than most places carry Mobil 1 gear oil!

I'm thinking of trying Amsoil in everything but the trans, and going with Redline MT-90 there. That will be a while off, though.

Your transmission is not nearly broken in yet, so don't pass judgment yet.
MT 90 is very good for shifting and wear. If you need this weight, get it - order it.
The Amsoil should be exceptional, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back