Time for new tires

TPMS light on. Nail in the shoulder block

47,000 miles out of the CC2

IMG_2689.jpeg

Gotta decide between Costco Michelin X-tour A/S2 (Defender 2) vs American Tire Depot Nokian Tyres One (where I got the CC2's in the first place due to their 30th anniversary buy 3, get one free sale)

Both similarly priced after discounts

Not great timing, since I'm moving to a new place soon.

If the nail was more towards the center area, I'd get them plug/patched.

Just ordered and set appointment for the Nokian Tyres One.

$221.73 per tire plus install and fees, minus $180 discount plus tax... just shy of $900 for 235/55r20 tires

Now I need to just top off the tires every day I drive the car... good thing for that Slime tire pump I bought back in 2016

Why he Nokian over the CrossClimate 2?
Just curious.

Bob
Because the CrossClimate 2 disappoints me in heavy wet snow, even when new. It's fine when the roads are plowed though. Even if I didn't get the nail, they were going to be for 3-season duty for their remaining life, with Nokian Hakka 9 unstudded for winter mounted on an extra set of wheels.

The timing of the Costco discount doesn't work out for me also.

1695343235331.png

1695343213114.png

Last edited:
Hmm... I was pretty much set on getting them for the Crosstrek. CR rated them as "Excellent" for snow traction.
When CR, Tyres Reviews, etc test on snow, it's more on plowed snow surfaces, which the CC2's excel it. Digging through wet, heavy snow, the long tread blocks despite being narrow, doesn't do any favors to dig through the wet, heavy snow.

The wet heavy snow is what I see more of.

CC2s are better snow performers than most any other all season road tire, aside from maybe Nokian.

For deep, heavy, wet snow, nothing beats dedicated winter tires. If you deal with deep snow and don’t want to bother with swapping tires, then all terrains typically offer better snow performance than all seasons, at the expense of road manners and MPGs. Look at Nokian Outpost APT and AT, Continental TerrainContact, General Grabber APT and ATX, Toyo AT3, Falken Wildpeak, BFG KO2 and Trail Terrain, Vredestein Pinza AT, etc.

Back