Time clock changing with different OS-Linux & Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run dual OS from a HP 8440p notebook. I have Linux Mint 17 on the 2nd hard drive bay. The computer boots to that drive as default. Works for me. On the motherboard, I have a full Win 7 setup. They are still things I need Win 7 for, like the Fit Bit apt, and Photoshop. I'm also a beginner at Linux. My OS clock is fine as long as I stay in one system. Stay in Linux for a week and computer clock is fine. Stay in Windows for a week and the clock is fine. And what I mean by staying in an OS is not switching to the other. When I switch, my time clock is off, +5 hours on Windows. Forgot to note which way on Mint. I'm CST which I believe is -5 GMT. Now I noticed that when I'm back to Mint, it's off also? Something need to be changed in the BIOS?

Not the world's biggest problem, just thought someone might know the answer.

I can't explain why it happens but I've seen it myself.

Have you considered going with only 1 operating system and then using a virtual machine for the secondary OS?

On my desktop PC I had Windows 7 and used to run Ubuntu in VirtualBox so I could learn and tinker around.

On my MacBook I have Windows 7 running in a VM so I can use various Windows apps.

It doesn't sound like it's shifting timezones on you, so if you run NTP it should take care of it.

I'm not sure how you'd set it up in Windows, but Google should be able to show you. On Linux, you install the ntp packages and then edit ntp.conf (on my systems, the full path is /etc/ntp.conf). Add three or four server lines like this:

server 0.centos.pool.ntp.org
server 1.centos.pool.ntp.org
server 2.centos.pool.ntp.org

Save the file, then restart ntpd.

Ubuntu should have detailed docs on ntp configuration if you get stuck.

Last edited:
This is it. You can make an adjustment to Windows, IIRC, to make it use UTC. Then the RTC is set to UTC, not the local time.

I ran a dual boot laptop for years and every time I got a new laptop I had to adjust one of the operating systems to account for the difference in how they treat the time provided by the RTC on the MB.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I believe it has to do with how the two OSes determine system time based on the clock on the motherboard:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Multiple_Boot_Systems_Time_Conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back