Tie rod end replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing a few suspension components on my '96 Maxima including tie rod ends. Can I reuse the lock nut on the inner tie rod end (that one that prevents the outer tie rod end from turning after alignment), and use that to obtain a rudimentary alignment, just to get the car to the alignment shop? My intention is to twist that lock nut off half a turn to get the outer tie rod end off, then upon reinstalling I crank it back down to take up that half turn. The new ones come with a new lock nut, but I just can't imagine that nut living so hard a life that it needs to be replaced.

The replacement ends are same brand, model, etc. so differences in the outer tie rod end length itself should be very minimal. Does this sound like an okay approach or should I use some other method? Again this is just to make the car driveable for a few miles to get to the alignment shop. I'm replacing struts and control arms, so an alignment can't be avoided even if I set the tie rod ends perfect.

I always count the turns on the outer tie rod instead of noting the position of the lock nut, but I suppose you could go by the position of the lock nut if you're able to note it's exact position.

Count the number of revolutions when removing a tie rod and use that number to install the new one. BTW I would use the new locknut

I painted the area, I never even thought about counting the revolutions. Counting it means you can spray it with penetrant before you crack it

I did the exact same work and lined it up with the paint and my eyes. I got it really close, one side was closer to spec before it was aligned than after!

I never worry about the lock nut when I do outer tie rods. I just crack the nut loose, which usually spins the inner tie rod with it. Therefore, when I install the new outer i just run it right up to the nut and install. I'm usually within a couple 10ths when I throw it on the alignment rack. You'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back