Thunderbird stopped pulling in new mail

My Thunderbird pulled in the last email early morning on 11/30. Nothing since. I can open current emails. But it does not pull in any new emails. My GMAIL on my phone works fine as does the GMAIL website on my laptop. But Thunderbird does not pull in new emails. I have restarted Thunderbird without add-ons and updated Thunderbird to latest level.

The cursor on the Thunderbird main window is a small circle that goes round and round.

I have rebooted Windows 10. Restarted Thunderbird.

I thought from the title that you had a Ford Thunderbird that read your emails. 🤣

It's usually either the server settings or your password. Check and correct them as necessary. Here are all possibilities, including interference from the virus software.

your provider may have updated their connection settings/requirements. Visit your provider support site and usually they have a settings page for Thunderbird, outlook etc client softwares.

It's not clear in the OP, are you using Thunderbird to access your GMAIL and it isn't working, or is this a completely separate account?

I have seen T-bird installations that had an "application password" generated through the user's Google account which expired every N days. But that should be spitting out an error message. I'd maybe head to the Account settings and ensure the authentication method is OAuth2.

It's not clear in the OP, are you using Thunderbird to access your GMAIL and it isn't working, or is this a completely separate account?
Yes using Thunderbird to access my Gmail email account.

The Gmail account is accessible from Gmail on phone and Gmail via Chrome browser.

The Gmail account is accessible from Gmail on phone and Gmail via Chrome browser.

OK, sometimes the "legacy protocol" (POP, IMAP, SMTP) setting gets turned off and then it stops letting 3rd party mail apps access it, so I'd go into your GMAIL settings and check that stuff first.

Here are the Gmail configuration instructions. Make sure that every setting in Thunderbird is correct.

Here are the Gmail configuration instructions. Make sure that every setting in Thunderbird is correct.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. (y)

But you do realize its been working fine for years using Thunderbird. But stopped on 11/30. I see the Thunderbird access still listed on my Google account.

But you do realize its been working fine for years using Thunderbird. But stopped on 11/30. I see the Thunderbird access still listed on my Google account.
Yes, and I've had that happen before with an acquaintance and it was their Gmail account deciding to self-secure apparently. Had to re-setup the access.

I checked all the settings and they are fine. It says "connected to "imap.gmail.com"
Go through the troubleshooting procedure in the link I posted in the first reply in this thread, which is reposted below.

Go through the troubleshooting procedure in the link I posted in the first reply in this thread, which is reposted below.

It was ESET that was getting in the way. The problem description mentioned Nov 30 things stopped. Thanks,.

Another thing to keep an eye on is that 32-bit builds of Thunderbird are limited to 4GB mailboxes, and will stop receiving mail if your inbox grows to that size. (Unix mbox mail format is used, along with an index file that uses 32-bit pointers.) I haven't dealt with Thunderbird in a while but if it's 64-bit now it won't have that limitation.

Back