Thread Insert Deathmatch! Helicoil vs TimeSert vs key locking insert vs BigSert

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Interesting video and of big interest to me.

My F350 has the 2V 6.8L V10. Prior to my purchasing, a spark plug blew out of cylinder #3. The shop repaired the blown threads with a helicoil. I have always been afraid of it blowing out. In fact, it may have been repaired with the Dorman kit. I have purchased the timesert kit, but have not found the time to pull the helicoil/ dorman and replace with the timesert. I have towed a gooseneck cross country with the V10, and no issues so far, but the concern is deep in the back of my mind.

Seems like a helicoil is stronger than the control. I’m surprised that the time sert was weaker than the helicoil, the helicoil seems less substantial.

I previously owned a 2005 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 engine and a 1999 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 engine and always had fears of the spark plugs having problems such as blowing out or breaking. I never had a problem with either vehicle. If I did I would probably take it to a very good mechanic who has had lots of experience with helicoils and Ford engines. I would keep driving it until the dreaded check engine light comes on.

Reactions: GON
I previously owned a 2005 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 engine and a 1999 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 engine and always had fears of the spark plugs having problems such as blowing out or breaking. I never had a problem with either vehicle. If I did I would probably take it to a very good mechanic who has had lots of experience with helicoils and Ford engines. I would keep driving it until the dreaded check engine light comes on.
JC,

On my V10 F350, it is rarely driven, but when it is driven it is towing a loaded enclosed gooseneck trailer on a multi-thousand-mile journey. The terrain often includes interstates mountain passes. Having a plug blow on what is considered by some an otherwise reliable engine may not be as easy as finding a competent mechanic to fix it. Having a rig towed from a remote interstate region and hoping to locate a competent mechanic, lot of risk involved. Blow out a plug on I80 in Wyoming in January, so many issues from safety/weather, tow charges. Huge risk.

I changed the plugs in the V10 about two years ago. Some suggest regular plug changes in the 2v modular ford engines is the best way to prevent plugs from blowing out.

When I went to change the plug-in cylinder three- the cylinder with the heli-coil, I couldn't get the plug to come out. My memory is failing, I may not have been able to get the spark plug socket on properly. Which led me to believe a Dorman "fix-it" may have been installed instead of a heli-coil, and I was misled on the prior repair when I purchased the truck a little over three years ago. I need to get a scope in the cylinder three spark plug hole to see what is really installed.

I carry the Dorman fix, and the time sert kit, in the F350 at all times.

Below is a picture of the Dorman 2v spark plug repair kit. It can be installed in minutes on the side of the road. The plug for the kit is actually a for a 3v Ford.

42025-007.jpg

Back