Thoughts on torque sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a 240 ft*lbs cordless electric impact to make tire rotations less labor intensive. I also picked up a torque stick that matches the specified torque for my cars. After using it on a couple of wheels I went back with my clicker wrench and double checked that the lugs were torqued right and they all checked out. But, reading around the internet some seem opposed to torque sticks, calling them "lazy" and inaccurate. I was wondering what the opinions were here?

When I worked in a tire shop I always just used the smallest, weakest stick to snug them down and then finished with a torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
When I worked in a tire shop I always just used the smallest, weakest stick to snug them down and then finished with a torque wrench.

That was what I did as well.

I wouldn't trust one to be accurate. For lug nuts, I'd use a torque stick a good 30% below the final torque value and then finish them off by hand with a torque wrench.

I didn't trust them for final torque, because you had no feel, or feedback from them. Couldn't be used for loosening, and with the extra length they were awkward to use. I ended up selling mine. Just always double check with a torque wrench is all.

STOP! Most sticks are for use on air guns only, check with the manufacturer of the sticks.
Better yet invest the money in a decent torque wrench and just use the gun on the lowest setting to run the lugs down without much tightening.

Edit:
Quote:

The shaft will flex in sync with blows of an impact gun once the correct torque has been reached. Sticks are accurate to within +/- 3% when used with a 375-400ft/lb impact gun.

Two issues with cordless impacts. The battery condition has an effect on the torque and they are usually pin and clutch mechanisms, meaning the make a lot of their torque right away before the clutch slips.
A high powered cordless like the IR can over power the torsion bar action of the stick, a weaker one can hammer it past the rated point.

Last edited:
I use a torque stick that's below the torque I am aiming for to seat the lugs. Then I hand torque them to spec. Seems simple enough.

robert

I've found that using my HF electric impact to gently spin the lug nuts on (just tap the trigger once or twice) and they are nowhere near fully torqued. I always get a good couple cranks with my Matco, calibrated torque wrench to even them up to 40ft-lbs before final torquing.

I have watched my lug nut tightened with a torque stick and an air impact at a tire place. Assured were fine. When I got home I checked them and they were so tight I had to use a beaker bar and a piece of pipe to loosen. No way the OEM lug wrench would have been able to loosen them.

Torque wrench is the only way.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
I have watched my lug nut tightened with a torque stick and an air impact at a tire place. Assured were fine. When I got home I checked them and they were so tight I had to use a beaker bar and a piece of pipe to loosen. No way the OEM lug wrench would have been able to loosen them.

Torque wrench is the only way.

I did the same. Wheels were tightened with a 100 lb. torque stick. I used a 20 inch long breaker with a pipe and to stand and bounce on it with my 280 lbs. They get instructed now that no air gun on my wheels.

So I suppose the take away here is that if you use a stick, be sure to double check with a wrench. I set my wrench to 83 ft*lbs and each lug turned just slightly before clicking, leading me to believe the stick did its job to 80 ft*lbs. I imagine in the future if it clicks immediately then the stick is overtightening and should be trashed. I like the idea of using the stick to seat the lugs safely provided it is torquing under rather than over.

Sticks will over tightened IF you keep an impacting on them for over a minute. Users are supposed to stop when the impact starts to hammer. Ed

Yep this is what I do. I use a stick that's about 20 under the spec and use Torque Wrench.

I find that my torque sticks vary quite a bit from loose to tight lug to lug.

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
So I suppose the take away here is that if you use a stick, be sure to double check with a wrench.

Nope. The 'take away' here is that you should use torque sticks correctly. Most people do not use them correctly. Read the manufacturers instructions for use.
Most torque sticks I have seen are accurate to +/-3%. If that is not good enough for you I suggest you use a calibrated torque wrench. Not just one that has been lying around your garage for the last 12 months....

My HF torque sticks work fine.

with my IR 8053

the 100lb stick tightens to 80

I use the 80lb stick which is aprox 65 then hit them all with a torque wrench for final tighten.

I don't see the point unless you're working in a shop that does a lot of tires. It would take as much time to get out the extension cord and impact wrench than just grabbing the hand tools and removing the nuts a little slower, but to each his own. I use a 4-way for my tire rotations and have never used a torque wrench on a wheel. The 4-way will spin the nuts off pretty quick. You just get a feel for the proper tightness after a while. In fact, I would trust my feel over a torque stick.

Last edited:
I bought one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-digital-torque-adapter-68283.html
and like using it for tighting lugs. Handtighten the lugs, give a bit of a tub while the wheel is in the air, gets to 20-30ft-lb easily. Drop the car and then I can use the above to quickly run through 30/60/90/120/150ft-lb increments *without* having to set the wrench each time. Just keep the display facing up and stop when the display hits the value I want to tighten to.

No dialing in anything!

Of course if I were working in a tire shop then using torque sticks to run through things quickly would make more sense, but I have to say I like this "calibrator" as a quickie tool to tighten lugs.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

That was what I did as well.

+2 this is the best way to go about it. The cordless impact and torque stick will work great in terms of speed but always do a final torque once the wheels are on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back