Thoughts on Shell Motor Oil (Its on Sale at Pep Boys)

Status
Not open for further replies.
they always have it on sale at the local Kragen for 49 cents a qrt when u buy a case. One thing Ive noticed about it though is theres more valve clicking when I use the stuff in my g/f's Corolla. If its available, I try to get the Chevron Supreme over the Shell.

couple months ago i bought 2 cases of Shell oil for 49 cents each. Good Oil i think. but it was the first oil to burn in my car if you do hard driving. Supertech Oil didn't burn when i do hard driving (accelerating over 5k rpm). I lost a quart of oil @ 3,000 miles. That has never happened to me. Now i use Valvoline , letss see how that does.

quote:

Originally posted by teambeechstreet:
they always have it on sale at the local Kragen for 49 cents a qrt when u buy a case. One thing Ive noticed about it though is theres more valve clicking when I use the stuff in my g/f's Corolla. If its available, I try to get the Chevron Supreme over the Shell.

Hmmmm. More clicking or ticking....I have Formula Shell in my truck for the first time and it's ticking more too. But it's had a tick for 3 1/2 years. Usually I can only hear it when i'm next to something that reflects the sound back. Now sometimes I hear it just driving down the street.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Miller:
wondering if the "clicking" is viscosity dependent?

Maybe so. There shouldn't be any problem with the formula.

The ticking occurs at normal temp, after the oil is hot. And Formula Shell is thinner than other 30's. Should I try a high mile 30 like Maxlife?

A quart of Rislone & kept-in for the entire 3K OCI ended my ticking a few years ago. Go back to Chevron/Havoline or try Pennzoil, Motorcraft or Castrol next oil change with a half-bottle of VSOT (Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment-gray bottle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back